Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Iv been chasing a few pesky oil leaks on my truck (97 5.7 block thats in a 94 1500) . I solved the majority of them over the few years.

1. I replaced the cork valve cover gaskets with fel pro Rubber gaskets.

2. Relaced the valve covers with a high quality aluminum valve covers from clay smith cams

3. Installed the Felpro problem solver gasket when the new intake manifold was installed

4. Replaced the rear main seal

5. Replaced the front timing cover gasket.

I still have a small oil drip that forms on my starter and sometimes on my Transmission bell housing. The drip is small enough that it doesnt drip on the ground. Its just annoying.

The only two things i havent replaced are the oil pan gasket (that appears to the dry unless its leaking at the rear near the starter)and the oil pressure sender adapter (the brass fitting). Im not sure of the proper name.

The distributor is new along with its gasket, but, I guess new doest always mean good.

Im really hoping its not coming from the back of the intake manifold. I really dont wana pull that off. From what i can tell it seems dry back there.

For what its worth I run Amsoil 10W 30. I guess I could go up to 10w 40 but to me, thicker oil is a band aid and not the fix.

Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have a small oil drip that forms on my starter and sometimes on my Transmission bell housing. The drip is small enough that it doesnt drip on the ground. Its just annoying.

The only two things i havent replaced are the oil pan gasket (that appears to the dry unless its leaking at the rear near the starter)
Possible. Not likely.

and the oil pressure sender adapter (the brass fitting).
The fitting, or the sender itself, are each possibilities.

The distributor is new along with its gasket, but, I guess new doest always mean good.
Again, possible, not likely.

Im really hoping its not coming from the back of the intake manifold. I really dont wana pull that off. From what i can tell it seems dry back there.
Possible, but you seem to have ruled that out.

HOW did you seal the manifold to the rear "China wall"?

I run Amsoil 10W 30. I guess I could go up to 10w 40 but to me, thicker oil is a band aid and not the fix.
Thicker oil doesn't solve an oil leak.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HOW did you seal the manifold to the rear "China wall"?
a "nice" bead of RTV was used. I think the stuff was called "the right stuff". I've used it before and had good luck.

Ima have to get a mirror and see if i can tell if the engine is wet back there.

Maybe from a different angle than looking and feeling from up top.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still have a small oil drip that forms on my starter
The only two things i havent replaced are the oil pan gasket (that appears to the dry unless its leaking at the rear near the starter)
Wouldn't this have been seen when doing the rear main seal? I know I was happy when seeing my rear main seal was dry. Not happy when I saw it was my oil pan gasket.. But mine is a 93 so not sure the differences...

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep.
Wouldn't this have been seen when doing the rear main seal? I know I was happy when seeing my rear main seal was dry. Not happy when I saw it was my oil pan gasket.. But mine is a 93 so not sure the differences...
Yep. It sure was. I was a little disappointed when the main seal was pretty much dry. Then changed my VC gaskets and figured that would fix it

Last edited: