ADVICE: FLUSHING OUT "OIL SENDING SWITCH" PASSAGE. 92' 350V8 TBI 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a previous thread regarding a broken extractor in the brass fitting that houses the oil sending switch / oil sending unit / oil pressure switch.

What's frustrating me is I can't really envision the inside of my motor. I generally tackle all repairs, in fact replacing my transmission is what led to this.

Today I was able to finally retrieve the broken extractor that fell down into the block. I also retrieved a fair amount of drill bit related pieces.

Luckily I was able to spare my threads to the point where the new fitting threads snuggly but I do not think it will be oil pressure tight.

I have two questions, if I remove my oil filter and pour oil directly down the sending unit passageway will it in turn drain out of the oil filter housing or oil filter port?

Secondly I'm avoiding re tapping this to a new and bigger size or trying some sort of helicoil, due to the fact I can thread the new brass fitting in fairly well. I know they use teflon tape while installing these most of the time but I am going to have to do a step above that. That being said what are my options? RTV over Teflon tape threaded down in? Would that hold? Perhaps I could do a bead of J-B Weld around the top ring of the fitting?

You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Silicone won't do squat for your problem. It is not designed to hold pressure. J-B Weld really isn't ideal either but it may work. Honestly if you're seriously concerned about it wrap it twice with Teflon tape and be done with it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No! Do not use teflon tape, get some Permatex thread sealant that is designed for use with oil. Parts stores will have it on the shelf.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No! Do not use teflon tape, get some Permatex thread sealant that is designed for use with oil. Parts stores will have it on the shelf.
I would normally agree with you when using Permatex. In his case he is concerned about damaged at the threads and the potential play within them. That is why I recommended using the Teflon tape.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, I read into it that his concern with the thread play was leakage. Well try one, and if that doesn't work try the other.

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, I read into it that his concern with the thread play was leakage. Well try one, and if that doesn't work try the other.
Yeah I'm going to go with Teflon tape first, if it's dripping then I'll go more drastic measures but I figure putting any type of adhesive or equivalent is only going to make it harder for future changes if needed

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
wish me luck

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
To be clear, it's not an adhesive and it's easier to clean off IMO. It may not fill in a large void as well as the tape thiugh.

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
status update here is round 1.... solvent was Mineral Spirits... if you notice you can see the crazy amount of brass shavings, they were pretty consistent all the way around the garbage can lid I used.