oil pressure sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well update here!

Today while driving to work my oil pressure gauge went to 0. Pulled over and got towed home of course, not risking damage if the oil pressure was actually 0. Felt the oil pressure sending unit and it was wobbly as hell. I took the connector off and it literally broke into 2 pieces.

So I got my oil pressure sending unit socket and a ratchet and hoped and prayed that the fitting wouldn't brake. God must've blessed me today because it was pretty on there and the fitting was bending a bit, but it didn't break!

Put in a new AutoZone sender, just for it to be DOA and peg my oil pressure to over 80 when cranking with the fuel cut to test for oil pressure.

So I went back to AutoZone did a warranty exchange and put the 2nd one in. Cranked it for about 20 seconds and up goes the gauge!

Started her up and she now idles at 45psi and at 3k rpm has 60psi of pressure!

Ever since I put my new tranny in it was idling around 10psi on the gauge, so I'm guessing I tilted the engine a bit too much and slapped the sending unit on the firewall! It must've fully given up on life today. But now my oil pressure is back to where it was before replacing the tranny and all is good!

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feel your pain man,Years ago I cracked the dist. cap doing a tranny pull and reinstall. Taught me to loosen the cap. Was lucky to never bust a sending unit. Wonder why GM didn't stand those senders straight up,sure would make servicing them a lot easier.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well update here!

Today while driving to work my oil pressure gauge went to 0. Pulled over and got towed home of course, not risking damage if the oil pressure was actually 0. Felt the oil pressure sending unit and it was wobbly as hell. I took the connector off and it literally broke into 2 pieces.

So I got my oil pressure sending unit socket and a ratchet and hoped and prayed that the fitting wouldn't brake. God must've blessed me today because it was pretty on there and the fitting was bending a bit, but it didn't break!

Put in a new AutoZone sender, just for it to be DOA and peg my oil pressure to over 80 when cranking with the fuel cut to test for oil pressure.

So I went back to AutoZone did a warranty exchange and put the 2nd one in. Cranked it for about 20 seconds and up goes the gauge!

Started her up and she now idles at 45psi and at 3k rpm has 60psi of pressure!

Ever since I put my new tranny in it was idling around 10psi on the gauge, so I'm guessing I tilted the engine a bit too much and slapped the sending unit on the firewall! It must've fully given up on life today. But now my oil pressure is back to where it was before replacing the tranny and all is good!
When the sending unit went out on my Burb, I took it to the shop I'd been using. They got the old one out, but apparently either they broke the new one installing it or it broke when they hooked up the harness. Of course the parts store didn't have another one..... The shop said they would replace it, no charge. I just had to find another sending unit and carve out time to bring it back to them. That took a very long couple of weeks....not fun driving an old Chevy with no idea what the oil pressure is.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Feel your pain man,Years ago I cracked the dist. cap doing a tranny pull and reinstall. Taught me to loosen the cap. Was lucky to never bust a sending unit. Wonder why GM didn't stand those senders straight up,sure would make servicing them a lot easier.
Not enough clearance under the distributor for the big old original sender, they were pretty long. Not compact like the LS-type OPS.
You must be registered for see images attach

On the Vortec big blocks, they did stand 'em up, because they mounted much lower. Haven't looked but I wonder if the TBI big blocks are the same.
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
update on oil pressure sending unit,holds decent pressure, but gauge still isnt very responsive to revs. It likes to hold to 35-40psi, and when I floor it around 45

def not where it was when the old unit was still good. Im guessing ****** autozone replacement. First was DOA, so I have little faith in this one.May hook the mechanical gauge to it

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way you're gonna get a true reading of your oil pressure is to tee in a mechanical pressure gauge. Electric gauges are only a little better than an idiot light,lets you know you've got oil pressure.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So turns out the 2nd one was also a dud. I took of my dizzy cap and put the 3rd one in!

However the labeling on my spark plug wires faded and now the truck will not run. Ive traced all the wires to the proper spot on the distributor 3 times and it still is just backfiring like mad and it doesn't sound good. I also smell almost like a smoking smell. I'm a little stumped to be honest.

Heres the video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive traced all the wires to the proper spot on the distributor 3 times and it still is just backfiring like mad and it doesn't sound good.
Ruh-roh! I’ve done that a few time lol
I’d take ALL the plug wires off and just start over.
Not enough clearance under the distributor for the big old original sender, they were pretty long. Not compact like the LS-type OPS.
I saw a sender hanging off an oil filter housing and thought about relocating mine there.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ruh-roh! I’ve done that a few time lol
I’d take ALL the plug wires off and just start over.

I saw a sender hanging off an oil filter housing and thought about relocating mine there.
I've started over too many times. I'm wondering if it was 180 out and the cyl 1 wire started somewhere else. Going to verify cyl 1 TDC tomorrow.