Oil pressure gauge always pegged.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought this was normal for 400s on the tailights? The 99 I used to drive and my 95 both behave that way. Same bulb fires for turn signal and brake if I'm not mistaken.

On the brake with turn signal, one brake should flash when signaling (LH flash and RH solid for left, opposite for right turn).

It is normal. These trucks prioritize brake lights over hazards, so if you hit the brake pedal while the 4-ways are on it'll cancel the 4-ways until you take your foot off the pedal.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is normal. These trucks prioritize brake lights over hazards, so if you hit the brake pedal while the 4-ways are on it'll cancel the 4-ways until you take your foot off the pedal.

Good to know. Can I ask, then, what's causing one turn signal to blink twice as fast as the other? No bulbs are burned out.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know. Can I ask, then, what's causing one turn signal to blink twice as fast as the other? No bulbs are burned out.
Are the flasher relays the same? I remember changing them on an old ford truck and getting different speeds, may not be applicable to 400s though.

Is one bulb dimmer than the other but still functioning? (My wifes kia suffers this although I suspect wiring fault on it) I believe the increased resistance of a bulb out or a bad contact results in increased flash rate.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fast flash is generally too much current draw. Slow flash might be excess resistance in the circuit, which would reduce the current draw.

Thousands of years ago, folks with trailers would have to install a "Heavy Duty" flasher, or the additional amperage drawn to run the trailer lights--turnsignals especially--would speed-up the flash rate. The regular flashers act as a warning when a bulb burns out, because it results in slow flashing--no current draw through the popped filament.

I'd be looking for incorrect bulbs. Various bulb numbers "fit" in the socket, but draw different amounts of current to achieve variations in brightness.

Beyond that...a grounded wire perhaps. Not enough current draw to pop the fuse, but enough to make for fast flashes.

The turnsignals--left and right--use the same flasher. The 4-way flasher is separate.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I done found the problem lol. It had nothing to do with the rear flashers.

To check the front turn signals, I was relying on the light reflecting off my T/A (since it's parked in front of the RCSB - but perpendicular). Well, I never actually went up and LOOKED at what was going on. Sure enough, upon checking both left and right turn signals VISUALLY, it appeared there was a bulb out on the passenger side. Wouldn't you know - the inboard SOCKET on the passenger side is done for.

I was able to wiggle the bulb and get intermittent contact, but by jamming a multimeter lead into the wires, there's 12v getting to the socket, just not from the socket to the bulb.

First chance I get, it's off to the yard again.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but the other side goes blinkblinkbink, yeah, twice the speed.
That hyper-flash usually means one or more of your light bulbs is blown (unless you have LEDs, that's a different story)

Edit: I didn't realize there was another page with the answer plus, you found it anyway. Good going :waytogo:

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That hyper-flash usually means one or more of your light bulbs is blown (unless you have LEDs, that's a different story)

Edit: I didn't realize there was another page with the answer plus, you found it anyway. Good going :waytogo:

LOL thanks, but that doesn't put the parts in my hand. Yard is obviously closed tomorrow.