TBI oil pressure sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1991 350TBI runs fine and is my highway cruiser. Pretty much at anything above 1/4 throttle the oil psi gauge pegs out. I wasn't really concerned out it, as I know OBS oil pressure questions usually open pandoras box.

BUT, when it does peg out, the gauge makes a loud audible click in the cluster, making me think the sender is bad and grounding out or something. Is this a common thing? Should I just go ahead and replace the sending unit? How should i trouble shoot? I'm just worried the constant full send of the gauge will mess the gauge up, then I wont have any way to read oil pressure at idle.

thoughts?

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah,sounds like sender is toast.

Well to close out this lengthy thread, it was the oil sending unit. Had to remove distributor to easily get to it with a crescent wrench.

Oil pressure now ~40psi while cruising, and ~15psi hot idle. cant complain. Whether its a more accurate reading, or more misleading than before i don't care, the check gauges light doesn't come on anymore when hot idling lol and the damn gauge doesnt peg out anymore.