350 tbi oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, having a bit of an oil pressure issue with my 94 k1500. Noticed oil pressure was a bit low so I put 10w40 in it, raised the idle oil pressure but revving the truck, the gauge hardly responds at all.

This started after I put a used transmission in the truck. Is there a chance I let the engine too far back and hit the sender on the firewall? The gauge was perfectly responsive and had great oil pressure right before the transmission, but from the first start after this is happening.

I'm not sure if it's a lazy sending unit, bad cluster or if I have an engine problem. But the gauge barely moves with revs. I do have a spare cluster to test with if needed.

Heres a link to the video.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '94 gauge reads low too when the engine is at operating temps.
Initial crankup it reads high then lowers as engine heats up, been this way since new.
Ya might take a look at the sender & see if it has marks on it from being bumped?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '94 gauge reads low too when the engine is at operating temps.
Initial crankup it reads high then lowers as engine heats up, been this way since new.
Ya might take a look at the sender & see if it has marks on it from being bumped?
Yeah I'll look at it.

I'm not worried so much about the idle pressure it's when I rev the gauge barely comes up at all. At high rpm the gauge kinda just stays in the area it does at like 2k rpm. But the engine does sound fine and I did do a flooring it test lmao. It sounded totally normal.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sender could be damaged from the firewall as you suspect, but I'd also be really concerned about the brass 90° fitting it screws into. They break really easily. Be careful..

Richard

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sender could be damaged from the firewall as you suspect, but I'd also be really concerned about the brass 90° fitting it screws into. They break really easily. Be careful..

Richard
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. Isnt there other sending unit locations on the engine that are bolted off? I could put a sending unit there and wire it to the stock harness while leaving the one by the dizzy alone.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isnt there other sending unit locations on the engine that are bolted off? I could put a sending unit there and wire it to the stock harness while leaving the one by the dizzy alone.
Yep, there s/b a port above the filter housing. Older TBIs use that and a 2-wire Oil Pressure Switch on the China rail.

You must be registered for see images attach

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This right here was a video from 2 weeks ago. Was a video showing my transmission before I dropped the used one in there. Oil pressure was amazing on it before I did the tranny.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media