93 K1500 oil pressure drops once warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Levman74

Reaction score
Well after the fuel tank issue I was kind of done messing with it on the lift but I had an extra filter sitting around and only another quart of oil left in the shop for it so that's all she got.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low oil pressure at 237k miles is fairly normal. If you're planning on building your own engine, now's the time to find a spare block and start. If you're planning on buying a crate motor, wait until it starts making noise and then buy it. As a crutch you can start running 20w50.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First I would verify that its actually that low with an oil pressure tester gauge

Can you hear valve tapping?

1 psi oil pressure indicated, but the lifters don't rattle? You need to verify oil pressure using a reliable, accurate gauge.

First Guess: Faulty gauge, faulty sending unit, or faulty wiring between sending unit and gauge. Oil pressure actually OK.

Medic0893

Reaction score
Just had a valve job: now that the cylinders are sealing better around the valves, the stress on the lower end is increased. Compression is much harder on the pistons (therefore the rods and crank) and the rings. I’d listen very carefully for the beginnings of a rod knock maybe from a newly spun bearing, which would yank your oil pressure. This is a logical progression from the top end work and the resulting increased work load on the lower end. I’m not a believer in coincidence… but I hope it’s just the sender switch.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
I’ve got a similar issue, good oil pressure reading until 30 minutes hot, then drops so low it triggers the check engine light but only under torque conv load (on the brake at red light in gear) …has slight bottom end knock on cold start but smooth after first second after start..I’m thinking maybe the beginning of the end for main bearing