ADVICE: FLUSHING OUT "OIL SENDING SWITCH" PASSAGE. 92' 350V8 TBI 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuse you need to pull is labeled ECM-IGN in your fuse block. Should be the third fuse down in the left hand row of fuses.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
/\ I agree with 89RCLB. Clearing the code would be done by setting the timing, hooking the bypass wire back up, shut off truck and pull the fuse. Go put your tools away, do the naughty with your wife, maybe drink a beer and then go put the fuse back in. As for the helicoil, you would be drilling which means more potential for metal in the engine. I would exhaust every other option first.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
As far as fixing the threads, welding isn’t going to work without taking the block apart. Welding cast properly is very tricky. You can try JB Weld as a filler. But I think a helicoil is the best options. Yes it’s going to cause metal shaving to go in the pan but you do it once and your done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as fixing the threads, welding isn’t going to work without taking the block apart. Welding cast properly is very tricky. You can try JB Weld as a filler. But I think a helicoil is the best options. Yes it’s going to cause metal shaving to go in the pan but you do it once and your done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually put J-B weld on it last night. It's the high temperature **** but I don't feel good about it.
You must be registered for see images attach

I felt much better with the high temperature RTV in there. I'm nervous to go test it because of how hard to JB Weld probably got and it wasn't very pliable but fingers crossed I'll let you guys know

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could cap off the hole on the china wall with a 1/8 steel plug, remove the 1/4 plug above the oil filter and put the sender there like the camaros/firebirds have it. Its so much easier to get to in case you need to in the future. Im still playing with it in my tpi conversion but so far on only 10 minutes of run time, it holds pressure and no leaks.

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could cap off the hole on the china wall with a 1/8 steel plug, remove the 1/4 plug above the oil filter and put the sender there like the camaros/firebirds have it. Its so much easier to get to in case you need to in the future. Im still playing with it in my tpi conversion but so far on only 10 minutes of run time, it holds pressure and no leaks.

I really like the concept and it seems possible. The sending passage is really close to the China wall. And another issue is how the hell can I plug it when I can't even get it oil pressure tight..

Also my oil gauge is usually off the charts. What does a faulty oil sending unit generally read? Does anybody know

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that port is tapped npt. I know of no helicoil for that but it's possible to tap it deeper to get fresh threads. Also, any filings falling down that hole will be pushed through the mains first