98 Silverado Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I started the maintenance since the wheel bearings arrived today. I got both of the front shocks off. I had to put a jack under the hub and lift it about an inch to get the bolt out of the shock. I think the previous owner cranked the torsion bars and my shocks might be a little short. Here is a picture of my old shock removed with a brand new one next to it, both are fully extended.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is a picture of how far my torsion bar is cranked

Is that normal for the shock to be tapped out like that at full droop or should it have a little more play? Have my torsion bars been cranked? It seems to me that I need longer shocks up front, but this is the first time I've ever bought and installed shocks.

Here's how it sat right before I jacked it up.

Also I ran into a problem on the driver's side caliper. I can't get the top bolt that requires a 3/8 allen key to remove. The hole is stripped. I'm thinking about trimming the rubber boot from around it so I can maybe grind it on two sides and then get some vice grips on it. But that is sort of the last resort. Anyone ever have this problem?

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize now that picture sucks. The light was really bad. But now it's on jack stands.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking what I might do since it's fairly close is once I get all the work done I'm doing I'll keep the truck suspended in the air and install the front shots only by the top bolts. Then I'll decrank the torsion bars until they allow the perfect amount of room for my shocks. Truck will probably be about 1/2 inch lower in the front when it's all said and done. I dunno, I'll wait and see.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

The top brake caliper bolt was stripped and wouldn't budge. So I had to use a box cutter and cut away the rubber that was around it. Then I filed two sides relatively flat so that I could tighten vice grips over it. Then I slipped a box end wrench over the vice grips for extra leverage. That did the trick and I was finally able to get it out.

I ground the tops of the ball joints down for both sides. Got the wheel bearings off. Got the steering box disconnected from the fluid and steering shaft. Currently working on knocking the pitman and idler arms off with a pickle fork.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Haven't done any work on this for a few days. I got the old riveted on ball joint off one upper control arm. I ground off the heads of the rivets and then beat it off with a hammer. Now I'm left with the rivets that are left in the holes. I tried pounding them out with a punch but that didn't work. I guess I'll have to drill them out which I don't want to do because I'm terrible at drilling perfectly straight and don't have a vice.

Anyone have any good techniques for getting them out? If not I guess I'll just get to work on drilling.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Do you know anyone with a drill press? That may be easier than trying to drill if you're worried about doing it straight. On my old Tahoe, I ground down the rivets as much as possible and then just beat the hell out of them with a hammer and punch. It took awhile, but eventually they gave and fell out. I'm from Michigan so I'm sure they were in worse condition than yours lol. Good luck!!

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One finally pounded out. The other two I drilled out. It was actually pretty easy. I used a size smaller or two for the hole and then once I got down to the other head of the rivet I pounded the head off with a hammer. Then the shell in the inside fell out. Now I need to get the bushing out. Once I get those out from both control arms I can put that whole side back together. Then it's time for the other side, putting the steering back in and I'm done.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already had a drill press (and a mig welder) that I had picked out to purchase in the future. I'm going for the good stuff so I gotta save up some cash.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed the new steering box. Removed the upper control arm bushings. Currently working on removing the lower control arm bushings. They don't want to come out. Might have to take them to a shop or cut them out. My ball joint press isn't quite big enough to fit the proper adapters.