98 Silverado Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figured I'd make this thread to begin documenting fixes and upgrades.
You must be registered for see images attach

I picked this truck up back in Aug. 2014 for $3,500. No rust except in rock chips, 206,000 miles, and SF 14 bolt. The previous owner had a lumber rack on it and it has a pop up hitch in the bed for towing a goose neck. The shocks and front suspension/steering is worn.

I removed the lumber rack and painted it:

I immediately changed every fluid except for power steering and brake fluid. Washed the exterior and got some floor mats. I got some aftermarket headlights that ended up being too dim, so I got another set that isn't tinted. I cleaned all of the pitting and corrosion out of the wheels, and painted the center caps flat black. I got LED tail lights and and LED 3rd brake light. Recently I got a spray in bedliner, but also have a bedmat because of the hitch in the bed.

I got some of those Walmart Wrangler A/T's in the metric equivalent of 31s. Here's how it sits now:

Next on the list of things to do is the springs, bezels, rollers, strikers and hinges for both doors. I also need to change the door latch on the driver's side. The drivers side is sagging very badly and the door spring is missing. I actually have all of these parts at the house, I just need to get around to it. I also need to fix the 3rd door. It has that problem where it won't open unless you push in on it while pulling the latch.

For the interior I got a cheapo camo backseat cover that fits okay and does the job. I also got a subwoofer and box that goes under the back seat, but have not installed it yet. I got a Pioneer deck back in November and installed it. After a month it stopped working. About three weeks ago I bought the same exact model. It just stopped two days ago. I'm not sure what is killing the decks, or if the decks themselves are just faulty. They both sounded great while they worked.

I got a canopy the other day, but it's green and the clear coat is peeling. I'm considering painting it black or a textured brown

I'm still on the fence about it. Part of the reason I do not want black is that it has been proven that a black car is around 10 degrees hotter than a white while parked in direct sun, and my dog might be spending some time back there. Although brown isn't exactly white...

The biggest priority, and the one I've been avoiding, is fixing my sloppy steering, shocks and front suspension. The reality is that I will absolutely move towards a SAS if I plan on keeping this truck for many years, and if I have the cash. So in hopes of that I keep putting it off.

That's about all for now, I'll have a lot more pictures in the future.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
Nice truck! Pewter is one of the best colors on these trucks IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm considering using bedliner on the blue along the rockers. I found a crack earlier today on the section just behind the 3rd door and just in front of the bed. It seems there is about 1/8 inch body filler in that spot. I chipped a little away from the crack. There isn't a hole, but it is rusty in about a 3x3 inch area.

I forgot to mention I also have a set of tinted cab lights that I want to get around to installing. But I sort of want an overhead console and auto dimming rear view mirror, so I'll probably wait until I can do it all at once.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks!

Does anyone have any opinion on these multicolor textures by rustoleum? http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/multicolor-textured/

I'm considering doing the blue in one of these colors. Then I might cover it with a clear coat, or leave it textured like bedliner.

I never really liked the blue, so some shade of brown or tan might look better. Black is also an option, but everyone does black so I'm a little sick of it. It'll be nice when the fad of making everything black ends.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here is what the brown looks like after getting all of the body filler and rust off.

This is after one coat. If I decide to keep it this color I'm going to sand it smoother and do another coat or two and then do all of the blue along the bottom. It's like a wet sand color when it dries. I'd probably put the body moldings back on after painting. Might just go black though...

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah it's textured. Its the same can as in the first post.

Last edited: