98 Silverado Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got all 4 tie rods on the bar with new adjusters. I'm waiting to put that in the truck once I get the control arms done and back in just so it's out the way.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Got the bushing out of the lca and got the new ones in. Had to cut a flat plate of steel to help with my adapters to work with my balljoint press. Also had to shave one side down with a grinder. Since then I got the new ball joint in the lca. The uca in the picture has the new bushings and ball joint in it. I just need to paint that lca and then I can put that side together. Then it's on to the other side.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the passenger side bushings and ball joints fast as hell this time. With the metal plates I cut to use instead of the adapters that came with the ball joint press I was able to knock the old bushings out with zero trouble. I should have the truck drivable tomorrow. I'll have to bleed the steering and brakes. Also have to put the shocks in the front, but that won't take long.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
All done! Just need an alignment. I'd have taken pictures but it was dark by the time I finished.

Having the proper tools and not having to improvise would have made this job must faster, but I'm glad I did it and I saved a lot of money doing so.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alignment scheduled for Thursday. Still need to bleed the brakes better.

Does anyone know what the torque specs are for the upper and lower control arms where they bolt to the frame? This site http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/2tz...-nut-bolts-axle-nut-upper-ball-joint-nut.html says 121 ft lbs for the lower control arms. If that's true then I need to tighten them up a lot more. I just put them on a little snug because when tightened a lot they don't let the control arms freely move...by hand anyway.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alignment done. The tire factory couldn't bleed the brakes, guess I'll have to take it to a dealer or something. Truck steers and handles tight now. Rides a little stiff with the rancho 5000s, but it's a truck, not grandma's car. I'll get some pictures when I get it somewhere other than my driveway, although it looks the same as it did before I started all this maintenance.

E-brake sticks. It doesn't fully release until I start to drive. Found that the insulation is torn and is exposing the e-brake cable. I imagine it's getting grimy inside and not allowing it to slide smoothly without hanging up.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorted the brakes out. Tire factory said brakes were leaking at the caliper. Took the bolt out, flipped the washer and tightened it down again, no more leak. Bled brakes and then took it out to a gravel road. Slammed the brakes on to slide and engage the abs about 4 times. Brakes feel good now. They need to be bled again after doing this, but they're better than they were before I started all this so it's one of those when I get to it things.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Intake manifold gasket is shot. Rag joint is wore out in the steering. Pain in the ass.

Also my new rancho RS5000 shocks I installed up front rattle around on the top bolt. Anyone know if there is supposed to be a bushing in there? I removed the bolt and there isn't really enough room for a bushing it seems.

e. I had some electrician rubber wrap that I put around it then tightened it down tight. Seemed to work.

Last edited:

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I run Pro Comp shocks, they have a bushing in the top. You could always take a piece of sheet metal and wrap it around a bolt, cut it to length and slide it into the shock. I have done that to sway bar bushing to keep them from rattling.