98 Silverado Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I eraserwheeled the pin striping and the crap left behind by the body moldings. I'm now left with a lot of minute adhesive residue that is being a pain in the ass to remove.

edit: WD40 took it off with ease.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I took the truck for a drive and it felt like something was dragging a little. Today I jacked the front end up and checked everything out. I knew that the steering was loose and there was some clunking coming from the front, so I expected to find something wrong. Turns out in the steering the main offender is the steering gear. I greased the ball joints and water came out of the seals despite just greasing them not long ago ( water came out then too).

Because the truck has 213,000 miles, and because things like the balljoints appear to be the originals, I have ordered tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower bushings, steering gear, pitman arm, idler arm, idler arm bracket, rancho rs5000 shocks, tie rod center links, and wheel bearings. The only things left to go wrong on this truck handling and suspension wise are the torsion bars and rear leaf springs.

I have also got a canopy for the truck and painted it Navy blue, which is a near match for the blue along the bottom. I scrapped the idea of painting the rockers that gritty sand color. I may change my mind in the future, but for now it is staying blue.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran across this on craigslist, I want it so bad
You must be registered for see images attach

They want $5000

Also this is now $4000 on craigslist. I would trade my truck for it, but now I have too much in mine and this dude wants a crew cab in trade.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you end up getting the front end rebuilt? I just finished my 98, I replaced everything with Moog. Ball joints, bushings, camber bolts, pitman arm, idler arm and the idler bracket. I can't believe how much different it drives. Better than a new truck. I love your pewter and blue combo, it's so sharp! Plus I really love ECLB trucks anyways.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the wheel bearings to show up. Also it needs to stop pouring rain.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the rear shocks in today. All of the parts have arrived except for the wheel bearings. Once those arrive I'll tackle the front end.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
That's a great looking truck. I'm not entirely sure what to think of the bug guard though lol.

As someone else said, pewter is a great color on these trucks. I have it as the lower color on my OBS and love it. Looking forward to updates on this.