88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Started tearing into the transmission yesterday. I pulled it and didn't REALLY look at it as it sat in the garage this week.

Top cover off.
You must be registered for see images attach

Peeking around. Notice the metal shavings. Welp, 5th gear was backing off and the nut wasn't tight...

Drained what was left of the fluid.... This color isn't good.

5th exposed. It's walked back but hasn't contacted the reverse shift arm, no damage.

Popped out the input shaft. I was quite loose and because the pilot bearing had long failed and chewed it up, it was to be replaced anyway. Here is the nose of the mainshaft... Where the input rides on a needle bearing on it...

Damn. This is a showstopper. Planned to have this back together and on the road this weekend. At least I know where the metal was all from now.

Determined that I can still pull the shafts and rebuild the countershaft.

Mainshaft pulled

Countershaft in the housing....

Empty shell.

Counter shaft removed.

Countershaft re-installed with new bearings.

New input shaft

Oh yeah, this wouldn't be possible without this tool set....

Once that was done I set about working on a few other things, such as cleaning my transfercase up.

And my friend (who's also working on his transmission) painted all our drivelines up after I re-built all the u-joints.

And a few more parts to add to the pile.
Throwout bearing/Slave Cylinder.

Tow mirror parts. My current set has a bad heated glass on the driver's side and is missing the post cover on the passenger's side. A friend of mine had his truck stolen and the pass mirror glass was shattered. He ended up replacing the mirrors with a new set and I picked these up off him for parts. Driver's mirror is 100% good. Passenger is for parts only.

Now that I have to buy a mainshaft, I'm at standstill on the transmission itself for a few days. figured I can get some other things taken care of in that time, like the trailer harness, other fluids, mirrors, etc.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Where did you get the tranny service set, and if you don't mind my asking how much did you drop for it?

Glad to see she's coming along. I can't wait to see it with the new mirrors

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
You should gut the mirrors that are on it and use the electric motors on the gmt800 style and make them power slide out

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
You should gut the mirrors that are on it and use the electric motors on the gmt800 style and make them power slide out

That'd be sweet! But they are so stiff it's gonna take a lot of power to make them power slide.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Where did you get the tranny service set, and if you don't mind my asking how much did you drop for it?

Glad to see she's coming along. I can't wait to see it with the new mirrors
I don't actually know how much it was. A friend gave it to my for christmas a year or two ago, i think he scored it on ebay.

That'd be sweet! But they are so stiff it's gonna take a lot of power to make them power slide.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk
You could actually make them slide easily by removing the spring clips. But you'd need to fine a much smaller motor for that to work, the ones in the powervision mirrors are HUGE.

Z71HULK

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb newb question, but where is the best place to get the GMT800 style tow mirrors for the GMT400 trucks? Also I can't wait to see what you do with this one, I loved the 6.5L truck before you sold it.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb newb question, but where is the best place to get the GMT800 style tow mirrors for the GMT400 trucks? Also I can't wait to see what you do with this one, I loved the 6.5L truck before you sold it.

EBay, they are all made by the same company so find the set with the options you want at the cheapest price an buy from that seller....