88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple more things in the works... Finished the B&W Turnover gooseneck hitch and happened to find a screaming deal on the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch. May end up trading the travel trailer on a 5th wheel at some point in the near future. Just made sure it all went together and then it'll come back off and store in the garage.

Also decided to pick up a toolbox from Tractor Supply. Just needed something low profile that I could store stuff in. I've grown tired of my recovery and vehicle straps sitting in the rain in the bed. Lol. Since it sits below the bed rails, I can still use the tonneau cover (when installed) and it won't interfere with a 5th wheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

After doing so much in the truck bed, I'm definitely going to be doing a spray in bedliner before too long.

Next up is getting my parts together for the solid axle swap. WFO is running a 20% off sale through the end of the month so I am hoping to capitalize on that and get some parts ordered.

Cannot wait!!

D4001

Reaction score
Finished up my speaker upgrade last night. Not sure why it took this long to accomplish, but the GM issue speakers were shot. They never sounded good to begin with... So out they came and were swapped for a set of Infinity component speakers.

Front doors were easy... Now in the rear I went a different direction. The Crewcab trucks have the same door panels as a suburban, without speakers installed. They use the same rear pillar trim as a regular cab pickup, and have 4x6 speakers in the pillar. 4x6 speakers very rarely sound good, particularly compared to components. I started out investigating and low and behold, the rear doors are already wired for speakers, in the door itself. It ends at the center pillar plug. Still made my life WAY easier.

Did a little fitting and cut the holes for the rear door speakers

Best question is where am I putting a tweeter, and better yet how am I going to do it so it looks factory..... Remember those 4x6 rear speakers..... Since the space was no longer useful, and the stock speakers are crap anyway, I "took them apart" and used the frame as a mount for the tweeters, in the rear pillar.

I'm probably going to steal the subwoofer from the 88 and toss it in there, hopefully I will be able to get a headunit sometime in the near future.
How did you get power from the wire that are preran in the back of the crew cab i pulled door panel found the wires but getting no signal from radio

Shawtbed96

Reaction score
Yup that would have been me! Small world.

Hardly notices, TBH. The 454 radiator is huge, and I'm running a 160 t-stat. On the longest hills in summer while pulling boost, it rarely creeps up near 200.

-----------------------

Been a bit since I've given any sort of update, so here you go!

I mentioned the CR Lawrence slider, well I got that installed.

They had the install with the cable running over the pillar trim and screwed to it... I said screw that. I dis-assembled the cable and ran it through the pillar and only making a small notch in the plastic. Much cleaner IMO.

To mount the motor, you have to ditch the OEM jack tray. Again, no thanks. I modified the position a bit and cut so the motor was mounted behind the tray. I actually have a few things that sit nicely in it, didn't want to loose that.

It had an aftermarket switch as well. You know me, I didn't use it. Instead I grabbed the closest thing that matched - I used a GM switch that came in the GMT800 GM Accessory Power Rear Window upgrade kit. It's the same text and gray color as the GMT400 and is as close as I'm going to ever come to matching the stock switches...

Related to the truck, I extended the tongue on my trailer so I could get rid of the hitch extension, as well as jackknife the trailer to be able to use the stairs without disconnecting.

I also picked up this G2 Brute diff cover, extra capacity and lowered my diff temps about 45 degrees.

During the install, it was close to the spare tire, so to test I flexed out the truck with the camper on it. The frames on these trucks are impressive IMO, very little body deflection even with the camper in the bed.

I also recently was in the dunes, my favorite place on earth.

After much deliberation though, I decided that it was time to move on to a new chapter. Introducing the new tow pig: 2016 Sierra Denali 3500HD.

Just kidding ;)
Hey there, did u use the regular ck rear gasket? Or was it already installed?