1999 Tahoe rebirth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And of course this was my score piece. Scored this genuine Delco MPFI unit with gaskets and bracket for $250 shipped. Also scored the Delco MU177 fuel pump assembly at the same time for about $130 shipped.
You must be registered for see images attach

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some more pics. This is the stock hard plastic intake elbow that goes into the stock box. I have a plan for a new intake tube from the TB to MAF. Also below is the TB, MAF ends and upper intake. All coated and unmasked. I also did the throttle blade mod while I had it out.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also picked up a set of these Titanium heat sleeves for the plug wires since those primaries are gonna be hot on the shorties.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was also fighting a bad gas guage the last few months the tahoe was running. After reading alot I decided to just source a new stepper motor for the cluster. Found one of those for about $40. While I had it apart I figured why not toss some blue LEDs in the cluster, HVAC and headlight switch. I went with superbright and they arrived quickly and well packaged. Got those in and figured since I have the needles off already why not go white...I still need to reinstall the needles and cluster so no illumination pic yet but there will be, for now here are the needles...

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And here is a shot after I installed the new pump assembly with a trap door. It was a full assembly with new float and wiring harness. For the door I'm gonna use a couple thin strips of metal and some framing screws for metal studs so it'll hold the patch flush and then I'll tape the edges with Aluminum duct taping for HVAC units. Once the carpet is down and future sub or amp rack is in place you'll never know.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I discovered real quick I gotta remove the PS bracket to get the driverside valve cover off. Kinda a good thing cause it gives me an excuse to pull the PS pump and install this little guy. I'm sick of this evo crap jerking me around. I have drove these trucks/suv without that version of the pump and steering is just fine. So bypass mod here we go. While it's out I'm gonna clean up the bracket and shoot it aluminum along with the PS pump pulley. This will be my next hurdle.

Last edited:

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well incase anyone wondered, where is the grille in my first post....well it was looking pretty faded in the centers and recessed areas around the lights. Sooooo, I masked off 100% of the chrome and shot it with 3 coats of gloss black and 4 coats of clear. While it was out I decided to do the chevy emblem also. In addition to that I stole the black housing headlights/parking lamps and smoked amber corners off my truck. You can kinda see tye headlights already mounted in the first post. Here is the rest.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Small update, found a local guy through a racing buddy of mine to run the heat cycles on my shorties prior to install instead of doing the on-vehicle process. Also ordered a new Delco water pump, 8mm summit wires, Felpro header gaskets, Felpro valve cover gaskets, Stant 195* superstat thermostat and a full set of Summit chrome wingnut valve cover bolts. Everything should arrive by Wednesday and I'll upload pics. Hoping to make some more disassembly/cleaning progress this week and possibly order the PS pump part next weekend. Score when I called Summit, they had a extra $20 Summit cash on file for me I didn't even know I had, plus the 1 I had saved me $40 and I got free shipping. All those parts only cost me like $86 all said and done, SCORE for me!!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
And here is a shot after I installed the new pump assembly with a trap door. It was a full assembly with new float and wiring harness. For the door I'm gonna use a couple thin strips of metal and some framing screws for metal studs so it'll hold the patch flush and then I'll tape the edges with Aluminum duct taping for HVAC units. Once the carpet is down and future sub or amp rack is in place you'll never know.

I'm not following how you plan to secure that hole, but make sure it's good and strong. You don't want gas being shot into the cab if you get into an accident.