Summit 8800 cam upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suburbarn

Reaction score
Hi there first post for me.

I just wanted to share my experience with this cam in my '97 Suburban.

Before I started the project I did a lot of research to figure out which specs or range of specs would fit my needs.

L31Express's info sure has been helpful with all of his previous work.

I had already installed Gibson shorties and the Jegs Y pipe last fall with good results. Everything fit nicely and installed with ease. The rest of the engine was stock.

I use the truck mostly for towing or if I need to haul something. It's not my daily driver.

I wanted a cam that would work with the stock torque converter, would make good torque from idle up to at least 4500 and would not kill the fuel mileage.

I also wanted it to make a big enough improvement to be worthwhile.

Price and availability was also a factor.
Comp and Howard's have some good options. Comp prices have become ridiculous since they've been able to replenish their stock. Howard's had quite a bit of lead time but were less expensive.

The Summit 8800 seemed to be everything I was looking for.

Decent duration and not too much overlap, and with 1.6 rockers it put me at the valve lift limit of my heads without spending too much on springs and retainers. The price was right and it is ground on a steel core. It would have been nice if the ICL was 108 or so instead of 111.

I used fairly inexpensive comp 981 springs with stock retainers. I replaced the valve seals as well. I measured .520" between the retainer and seal.
My theoretical valve lift is .480 with the Eligin 1.6 rockers. I did have to drill the pushrod holes in the heads out to 1/2.
No drama at all. I used a short drill bit and a right angle drill at the rear so it wail clear the firewall and receiver dryer.
Rags, vacuum and a greasy drill bit keep the contamination under control.

The lifters were in good shape so I reused them. I did use some one piece pushrods but I don't think you have to. The stock length gave the correct pattern on the valve tip.

I installed the Cloyes 9-1157 timing set advanced bringing my ICL to 109 as good as I could measure with the dial indicator on the rocker arm. That old timing chain sure was sloppy!!!

A new Dorman timing cover was used without any leaks so far!!!
I did not have to lower the oil pan. I test fit it a few times to get my method right before applying some really good Loctite RTV SI 598. I scuffed up the bottom of the cover that mated to the oil pan to hold the RTV better. I made sure all surfaces were very clean.

The intake ports and valves were pretty clean. I disassembled the intake manifold and degreased everything.
The poppet nozzles went in the ultrasonic cleaner for a few hours.
I sand blasted the lower intake then got down to business porting it after some evaluation and port measuring with the telescopic snap gauge. The port entry is actually smaller than the middle of the runner! I reworked the port entries and tapered them into the mid runner section. Which is about an 1-1/2 or so down into the runner. From the mid section to head mating flange I mostly left alone except for casting cleanup. The port shape was close to the head entry shape. In my case there wasn't much to gain there. I sand blasted it again after porting and cleaned every little bit out with the pressure washer.
I know I had a bit more than 8 hrs into porting! The manifold design really isn't that bad for the size of engine it was designed for. The runners are about 8" long.

I may upgrade the injectors at a later time. I haven't had any problems with the poppets but I understand there may be improvement in performance due the better atomization of the mini port injectors.

I used the
ULTRA-POWER​
MS98000T
Intake manifold gasket with the steel core. It looks identical to the Felpro I removed.

I replaced the distributor gear as it was pretty worn. Shimmed the excessive thrust clearance out of it as well.
After reassembling the top end and correctly installing the distributor. I removed the lip on the throttle body blade before cleaning and installing it. It looks like the bore tapers down smaller under the blade. I may disassemble it at a later time and bore that out on the mill. WOT manifold vacuum will tell what's really necessary.

I primed the oil system until I had a steady flow of oil out of the pushrod oil holes in the rockers. It can take quite a while but is an important step.

Since I had to remove the radiator for the cam install, I took the time to clean out the fins and give and give it a back flush internally. I cleaned the condenser out as well. I also decided to convert over to electric fans. I used this controller to run the fans. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCW-DC-0444

I drilled the coolant passage in the intake manifold and used a compression fitting with the supplied probe instead of installing it in the radiator fins. Works great!! It also has an input for the AC cutch to keep the fans on while the AC is running.

After reassembling everything including a new water pump and idler, tensioner pulleys along with a new lower radiator hose and refilling the cooling system.

It was time to fire it up!!! And that it did. No problems at all. I wasn't sure what the ECU would make of it but it wasn't a problem.

I let it warm up and got the air out of the cooling system. Checked for leaks and such.

I adjusted the CMP offset, it was at 5 degrees initially.

I drove it for a few miles around town and everything seemed okay.

I installed the A/F meter in one of down steam O2 fittings to see how the ECU was adapting. I also watched the fuel trims with the Autel scanner. Idle and part throttle were great. Even mid throttle we're all at around 128. Heavy but not full throttle was trimming around 9-12 percent adding. Mixture was still 14.5 or so. No real power enrichment. WOT mixture was great at 12.6 - 12.8. Can't complain about that.

There were a few changes I wanted to make to the ECU. I wanted it to go into power enrichment earlier, change the Speedo calibration and turn off the secondary O2 mil. I knew someone that that had the JET DST so I bought a VIN license and made some changes. Unfortunately during the second reflash it bricked the ECU! Great fun!!!
Anyway, I got a replacement black box from eBay and luckily it started right up.
Next stop 411 upgrade.....

Anyway, I feel it was a definite improvement. More power everywhere and pulls strong up the 5k shift point no problem. No regrets at all.
It works just fine with stock calibration.
Power enrichment tweaks would improve it but this true with the stock cam as well.

I did install a Transgo HD2 kit last winter along with the corvette servo properly shimed. Sure is fun to drive!!!!

I'll update after I get the boat hooked on the back and get it loaded down.
That'll be a few months yet.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Happy trucking,

Jeff

Attachments

• F0CBEC86-9D27-4BD5-985A-0EE958A729CF.jpeg
    F0CBEC86-9D27-4BD5-985A-0EE958A729CF.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 14
  • BFCC9DCB-7A65-492C-A011-4ECB3469B7DA.jpeg
    BFCC9DCB-7A65-492C-A011-4ECB3469B7DA.jpeg
    387.3 KB · Views: 11
  • C6F11367-AF0A-4ADF-8963-EEC06526A29A.jpeg
    C6F11367-AF0A-4ADF-8963-EEC06526A29A.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 01D569B1-A92F-4AED-89FB-4166B98495C7.jpeg
    01D569B1-A92F-4AED-89FB-4166B98495C7.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 79E4C8BE-41BE-4E9C-A0E3-CD9DF0C357D7.jpeg
    79E4C8BE-41BE-4E9C-A0E3-CD9DF0C357D7.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 16

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice work Jeff. Glad my posts were of value during your research.

Stock timing advance curve is pretty limp wristed too. It also starts pulling timing over 198F coolant temp and 100F intake air temp. At the normal 210F operating temperature, the PCM is pulling 2-3* advance.

Typical stock advance curve in PE (1998 Tahoe)
Near sea level with 90-100 KPA MAP. Outside of PE, subtract 2* @ 2,400, 3* from 2,800-4,000, 4* from 4,400 to 5,200, and 3* @ 5,600. Chances are pretty good, over 4,000 rpm it is on the floor in PE though with stock shift points as early as they are at part-throttle. I feel lack of timing advance at higher rpm is a lot of the reason the stock engine feels like it falls on its face so agressively up top, with timing advanced up there they seem to pull a lot harder up top even with the stock cam.

RPM-------Timing advance
400-----(-2) yep negative
800-----(-1)
1200----4
1600----9
2000----15
2400----20
2800----25
3200----24
3600----24
4000----24
4400----24
4800----24
5200----23
5600----21

This is what I have had good results running over the years with Vortec head EFI engines at stock compression ratio. Even with a stock torque converter from a stop the engine will not be under 2,000 rpm long, so the added WOT timing at low rpm really just helps flash the converter harder from a stop when you actually jump on it. For the most part this is still less timing than GM specifies on their L31 headed crate engines as well. They call for 32* @ 4,000 rpm with 10* inital at idle.

RPM---------Timing Advance
400-------12
800-------16
1200-----22
1600-----24
2000-----26
2400-----26
2800-----27
3200-----27
3600-----29
4000-----29
4400-----29
4800-----29
5200-----30
5600-----31
6000-----32

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also one thing to definitely fix in the tuning since you tow. Stock 2-1 part-throttle downshift is typically non-existant over 10 mph unless you practically put it on the floor. On the 98 Tahoe tune pulled up in front of me, at 16 mph it requires 82% throttle to force a 2-1 kickdown, yet at 94% throttle it will make the same kickdown at up to 35 mph. Does not exactly make for a responsive vehicle accelerating from a slow roll in traffic or heading uphill after say a RH turn from a stop. Download a copy of Blucats. Will help you dial in that transmission to be far more reaponsive to driver inputs, both holding gears a bit longer accelerating with moderate throttle as well as kicking down a bit sooner under heavy part-throttle.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1.6 rockers

I used fairly inexpensive comp 981 springs with stock retainers.
Somewhat surprised that aftermarket springs properly fit stock retainers.

Eligin 1.6 rockers. I did have to drill the pushrod holes in the heads out to 1/2.
These are self-aligning rockers...right? 'Cause if they're not, you're gonna have serious rocker arm problems.

I did use some one piece pushrods but I don't think you have to. The stock length gave the correct pattern on the valve tip.
Self-aligning rockers, or you have pushrod guideplates; and then we hope your new pushrods are hardened.

I replaced the distributor gear as it was pretty worn. Shimmed the excessive thrust clearance out of it as well.
Shimming the distributor can cause thrust problems with the oil pump; potentially leading to scoring the oil pump cover. Did you check the distributor mainshaft for up 'n' down play once the distributor is installed and tightened-down?

I primed the oil system until I had a steady flow of oil out of the pushrod oil holes in the rockers. It can take quite a while but is an important step.
Not at all important. Everything that needs lube is coated in assembly lube. "Priming" until the oil squirts over the fender is a waste of time, effort, and enthusiasm.

I also decided to convert over to electric fans.
Popular, but not always productive. Takes REAL electric fans to equal a good fan and fan clutch.

I knew someone that that had the JET DST so I bought a VIN license and made some changes. Unfortunately during the second reflash it bricked the ECU! Great fun!!!
That's disturbing. I bought a Jet DST, but haven't used it yet.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

These are self-aligning rockers...right? 'Cause if they're not, you're gonna have serious rocker arm problems.

Self-aligning rockers, or you have pushrod guideplates; and then we hope your new pushrods are hardened.

Shimming the distributor can cause thrust problems with the oil pump; potentially leading to scoring the oil pump cover. Did you check the distributor mainshaft for up 'n' down play once the distributor is installed and tightened-down?

Not at all important. Everything that needs lube is coated in assembly lube. "Priming" until the oil squirts over the fender is a waste of time, effort, and enthusiasm.

Popular, but not always productive. Takes REAL electric fans to equal a good fan and fan clutch.

Rule of thumb I use on the distributor, if it will fully seat without the gasket it will have clearence. My distributor would not on the Express van, hence the reason it has a nylon shim under it.

I agree on electric fans. Even with good fans, some climates, vehicles and setups are allergic to them. My Express van being one, with all the backpressure on the cooling system gemerated by the cramped engine compartment, it needs a powerful mechanical clutch fan to move air even at 75 mph to keep it cool.

I have mainly used HP Tuners over the years and have the old MPVI interface. Yea I am a tuning dinosaur. No experience with the DST, but my Tunercats OBD2 with its old serial cable interface has been dead reliable running on an ancient Windows 7 Netbook in XP compatibility mode as well as on an old Desktop running XP I use only for tuning, I literally use my Vizio flat screen for a monitor for it and a wireless keyboard. I picked up a Tunercats setup years ago and the first owner had to sign over the liscensing to me. Got me into Vin Unlimited tuning inexpensively. The Tunercats interface is slow to read, slow to write, but it has been dead reliable even on P59s that have a tendency to brick. The other flash utility I use, PCMHammer has also worked flawlessly on P01s and P59s using a OBDLinkSX cable I bought about 5 years ago for about $30. It does not support 4x read or write, but I use it and TunercatsOBD2 mainly for bench flashing, I start the flash and walk away. Read and flash time are largely irrelevant in their use to me as long as the data transfer is accurate and the PCM does not brick. I cannot even begin to count how many full writes I have done with both. For swap tunes, I pretty much only use the common 2002 0411 OS and the 2005 P59 OS. I have files to run pretty much all engine, transmission and body configuration combinations with those OSs.

Best part about Tunercats OBD2 as well as PCMHammer using Universal Patcher and TunerProRT is they VIN Unlimited. Can flash as many PCMs as I want without being traced by anyone or paying an expensive licensing fee for each flash. Tuning a P01 0411 or a P59 now is very inexpensive. One can get the OBDLink SX cable, download PCM Hammer, download Universal Patcher and TunerProRT. The OBDLink SX can even datalog and the software can be setup for very nice Histograms similar to HP Tuners. $50-100 can get you the ability to tune and datalog a P01 or P59 now.

Last edited:

Suburbarn

Reaction score
Nice work Jeff. Glad my posts were of value during your research.

Stock timing advance curve is pretty limp wristed too. It also starts pulling timing over 198F coolant temp and 100F intake air temp. At the normal 210F operating temperature, the PCM is pulling 2-3* advance.

Typical stock advance curve in PE (1998 Tahoe)
Near sea level with 90-100 KPA MAP. Outside of PE, subtract 2* @ 2,400, 3* from 2,800-4,000, 4* from 4,400 to 5,200, and 3* @ 5,600. Chances are pretty good, over 4,000 rpm it is on the floor in PE though with stock shift points as early as they are at part-throttle. I feel lack of timing advance at higher rpm is a lot of the reason the stock engine feels like it falls on its face so agressively up top, with timing advanced up there they seem to pull a lot harder up top even with the stock cam.

RPM-------Timing advance
400-----(-2) yep negative
800-----(-1)
1200----4
1600----9
2000----15
2400----20
2800----25
3200----24
3600----24
4000----24
4400----24
4800----24
5200----23
5600----21

This is what I have had good results running over the years with Vortec head EFI engines at stock compression ratio. Even with a stock torque converter from a stop the engine will not be under 2,000 rpm long, so the added WOT timing at low rpm really just helps flash the converter harder from a stop when you actually jump on it. For the most part this is still less timing than GM specifies on their L31 headed crate engines as well. They call for 32* @ 4,000 rpm with 10* inital at idle.

RPM---------Timing Advance
400-------12
800-------16
1200-----22
1600-----24
2000-----26
2400-----26
2800-----27
3200-----27
3600-----29
4000-----29
4400-----29
4800-----29
5200-----30
5600-----31
6000-----32
Thanks for the insight on the timing.
I had a look at the table but none of the modifiers. Just never got that far.

A revisit after the 411 is installed will be certain.

Suburbarn

Reaction score
Also one thing to definitely fix in the tuning since you tow. Stock 2-1 part-throttle downshift is typically non-existant over 10 mph unless you practically put it on the floor. On the 98 Tahoe tune pulled up in front of me, at 16 mph it requires 82% throttle to force a 2-1 kickdown, yet at 94% throttle it will make the same kickdown at up to 35 mph. Does not exactly make for a responsive vehicle accelerating from a slow roll in traffic or heading uphill after say a RH turn from a stop. Download a copy of Blucats. Will help you dial in that transmission to be far more reaponsive to driver inputs, both holding gears a bit longer accelerating with moderate throttle as well as kicking down a bit sooner under heavy part-throttle.
And again, good tip! I certainly wouldn't have known or even thought about it.

Suburbarn

Reaction score

I was pretty happy about it. Less delay and money spent.

Yep self aligning long slot. The pushrods are hardened but not needed for this application although they may be out there, non hardened one piece units haven't popped out at me.

I did check the clearance on the distributor against the oil pump driveshaft.

If I prime the oil system and see the oil coming out of the pushrods, I know the system is working and I don't have any dirt or manufacturing defects causing an expensive surprise later. For me, this is a must when installing new parts. No drama with oil squirting everywhere.

We'll wait until things heat up outside to give the fans a good test.

The DST May work just fine. Best to keep a spare ECU on hand. Cheap enough off of eBay and don't need a special VIN matching software to work as long as it was off the same engine type.