1999 Tahoe rebirth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not following how you plan to secure that hole, but make sure it's good and strong. You don't want gas being shot into the cab if you get into an accident.

If I get in that bad a wreck I'm thinking fuel is the least of my worries. The drop I cut out can be seen laying by the hole. I do remodel work and have some framing screws made for metal studs I'm going to use to secure it in place then HVAC around the seams to ensure a weather tight seal. Plus the carpet and pad lay back down over it and it'll eventually either have a single 10" sub or amp rack under the seat right on top of it. I'm not too worried about it ever leaking into the cab even in the event of a wreck.

I'll post a finished pic with it secured in place and sealed up.

Last edited:

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What kind of paint did you use on those plastic parts?... looks nice.

Everything painted so far has been done with Duplicolor adhesion promoter and Duplicolor engine enamel. Of course I cleaned the parts first to ensure a good bond.

Except the shorties. First I stripped them then I did those with 3 coats VHT high temp primer and 4 coats of VHT Aluminum flameproof.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
he's making an access door like on newer vehicles

Yep, only way I'm dropping the tank is if it needs removed to replace, clean out or new straps. That's just too much work for a simple pump change. And with these trucks age now days cutting a access ain't a big deal to me anyway. Did the same thing on my 99' WS6 too and never had a issue.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, Summit is like clockwork for shipping delivery. Parts got here on lunch today. I swear everytime I get a package like this it's like little mini christmas, lol. Now I got to wait to get paid again before I get the new upper/lower radiator hoses, coolant and the PS bypass pipe ordered. Good thing I got plenty here already to tackle in the mean time.

You must be registered for see images attach

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't got much done this week, worked alot instead. I did get my new Summit 8mm wires outfitted with the Titanium heat sleeves so they will be ready to go in. And I picked up the shorties from the guy I had bake them so they are ready now too. Working on getting the new water pump masked off and ready to shoot today.
You must be registered for see images attach

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well after talking to the wife she has agreed I should just do the lower intake gaskets while I'm this deep in it and get a new distributor with a billet body. At least I had already bought the Felpro gasket kit for my truck when I thought it had a bad gasket. Anyone used the stock style replacement from A1auto? It's got a billet body and steel gear with an attractive $60 price tag. If it's a decent distributor I'll go with it and a Delco cap. The other one I'm looking at is the Summit replacement but it's $162. I'm gonna scrub the crap outta this lower intake while I got it out.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Love the plug wires, would like to upgrade to something like that on my truck in the future.