1999 C3500 CC DRW Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So if you've followed this thread you've seen most of my suspension/wheel journey an its issues. The latest one is the front center caps constantly popping while the truck is in motion. I've been back an forth with this for a while now with lowboy, an I cannot honestly recommend them to anyone anymore.

Now having said that, the wheels themselves are great, fitment was so/ so as ive posted. Yes this is a small issue but I don't appreciate the treatment I've gotten from them over it an how everytime I try to contact them about it turns into list of excuses an reasons why I can't get a simple response to acknowledge they received my message. Everytime I have spoken to him on the phone the conversation ends with me feeling like the @sshole for bothering him with such a trivial issue. It's not like I have been bugging him non stop, I give ample time for a reply (24 hrs if not more) before asking again.

I've followed them a long time on socials, recommend them alot, an ultimately chose to buy from them because they been in the game a long time an knew their sh*t. Apparently he's having some employee issues the past 3-6 months or so but that still doesn't justify the way he spoke to me the last two times we talked.

Anyway /end rant, if you want semi wheels look elsewhere an I recommend going the direct bolt route instead of adapters.....
Thanks for the feedback. Eventually I want rims on my dually and they were on my short list of vendors to consider, also, but based on your feedback I'll stay away. Sucks to have to go through this and then have a vendor being a jerk to you.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunate that this happened. I see people all the time recommend his business. I suspect a lot of time it’s people who have never had work done by him and solely based on what they’ve seen. The real feedback you’ve given is valuable! Just wish it wasn’t an issue. That is frustrating.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Eventually I want rims on my dually and they were on my short list of vendors to consider, also, but based on your feedback I'll stay away. Sucks to have to go through this and then have a vendor being a jerk to you.
Look up Edison tire company on facebook. I was going to buy direct bolts from him until I decided I just had to have real acolas. I recommended him over LB on a post the other day with a bit of back story as to why. He reached back out to me an helped me verify what I thought the issue was in 5 mins. I've been talking to LB about it for nearly 2 months now...
I'd bet his recent employee problems are for the same reason

Unfortunate that this happened. I see people all the time recommend his business. I suspect a lot of time it’s people who have never had work done by him and solely based on what they’ve seen. The real feedback you’ve given is valuable! Just wish it wasn’t an issue. That is frustrating.
The quality of the work is fine, they were Jonny on the spot with communication before an after the purchase through delivery. Now is a different story though. I partly ran my own shop for 4 yrs. I understand the problems he having. Even with that stress there is only 1 customer I talked to the way he's talked to me an that was only after that customer had been cussing me for nearly 45 mins, I'd had enough an basically threw him outta my shop.

I've been cordial with them, never demanding or pissed off yelling etc. My main issue is he keeps asking for pictures/video of the issue but no matter how I send it he can't get it to work. Ig messenger, Google drive links, text etc. It works fine when I send it to anyone else but he can never tell what's going on. To me he sold me the stuff, he shouldn't need pictures to know what parts he sent me an why they aren't working together correctly.

Anyway our last conversation he said he was going to send out different covers to see if it would stop it. I'm not going to hold my breath but if I do get something in an they make it right I will update here. I will more than likely have to buy different centers though because to get spikes to fit my current style cap that are correct for it, I have to buy a full set of 4 centers an 40 covers at about $250 an that just isn't happening right now. Hopefully I can find the spikes somewhere separately eventually.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cant say anything about the service other than that doesn't sound good, but I also cant imagine those front caps being anything other than huge piles of doo doo. Even though they have crossed my mind a few times. All the install videos I have seen, they just seem janky. They're reselling the same old junk that everyone else does, all over ebay, etc.

I don't know what adapters you are running, but Its almost crossed my mind to have the lip on the front of the arrowcraft adapters machined down a little so the snap in metal caps could be used. These are some nicely machined pieces, but they kinda went dumb on the hub/lip. The back ones barely catch the outer wheel, and the fronts are too deep to use push in caps.

Although while searching for a pic of the push in type, I found some that might compliment the ones you have on the rear. That's why I asked about yours awhile back. I didn't wanna mess with the crap. A steel cap that is held on by the nuts is better than the clicky plastic junk, imho.

I don't mean to sound like I am badmouthing what you have, its more disgust at the lack of decent options. Even this stuff falls off of semi's all the time. May just keep it without caps at all.

Attachments

• flanged.jpg
    flanged.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 5
  • dome.jpg
    dome.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant say anything about the service other than that doesn't sound good, but I also cant imagine those front caps being anything other than huge piles of doo doo. Even though they have crossed my mind a few times. All the install videos I have seen, they just seem janky. They're reselling the same old junk that everyone else does, all over ebay, etc.

I don't know what adapters you are running, but Its almost crossed my mind to have the lip on the front of the arrowcraft adapters machined down a little so the snap in metal caps could be used. These are some nicely machined pieces, but they kinda went dumb on the hub/lip. The back ones barely catch the outer wheel, and the fronts are too deep to use push in caps.

Although while searching for a pic of the push in type, I found some that might compliment the ones you have on the rear. That's why I asked about yours awhile back. I didn't wanna mess with the crap. A steel cap that is held on by the nuts is better than the clicky plastic junk, imho.

I don't mean to sound like I am badmouthing what you have, its more disgust at the lack of decent options. Even this stuff falls off of semi's all the time. May just keep it without caps at all.
I thought about getting one like the rear for the front too. I like the way the front cap looks an it's an actual Alcoa part but it requires a specific style of cover to hold it in place that I don't have. If I had the correct covers it wouldn't be an issue.

You are correct about the lack of decent options though. It all seems like cheap junk that you pay a premium for.

I just realized I forgot to get that info for you. I'll have to look for it again, I know I did when you asked but I don't remember where I put it all. I will say the rear caps are ok but are tough to keep centered up I think they are for a different style lug than I have because I thought you should be able to put on 5 lugs the cap then the other 5 to hold it but it won't fit over the integrated washer so you have to try an hold the wheel, and cap, start 2 lugs then get it all seated while keeping the cap centered. You need like 8 hands to do it.

I borrowed these caps from a friend, no more noise but they look awful imo. I could live with them if they had a dome center instead of the point I guess.

You must be registered for see images attach

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was mistaken on what you had on the front, thought it was that type in the picture, lol. And no worries on the info, just figured I'd bug you whenever time came to cross that bridge. The priority list before caps is a long one.

Think part of it, is just the old school in me that doesn't like plastic bits on my wheels. And I drive through brush/fields/trails too, etc.

There is a domed version of those, but I'm sure you know already.

What I think would look sick, is if someone made caps with a retainer ring that went under the lugs, and had raised portions between the lugs to hold screws around the edge of the cap, like the spider caps for smaller wheels. Or just drill and tap the wheel for some short screws.

Could be done with actual different styled caps, and with or without the lug covers. Plus with a retainer ring it would keep the lugs from marking the wheels.
I don't see myself making them, so I'll shut up with my babbling.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 8
  • spidercaps.jpg
    spidercaps.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 8