1996 Suburban Cummins Swap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Yes, the 160 HP was for the Cummins. The Cummins also had 400 ft/lbs of torque stock as well.

Both numbers are less than the 454. Stock the 454 had 290 HP and 410 ft/lbs of torque. I also had the Banks Powerpack Kit (great kit, too bad they don't make it anymore) and it made the numbers 360 HP and 495 ft/lbs, this Suburban was a rocket with the 454.

It feels a little slower (although I doubt it is) than it did before but diesel power is different than gas power.

I would say with the mods I have done to the Cummins that it now has more power than the Banks Kit'ed 454 had and it is way more fun to drive, instant torque.
Exactly, a totally different power.

ridin_low07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but can this be done on a 1/2 ton? I dont haul much but being that diesel motors run forever it seems like it would be an obvious upgrade.

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Technically it could be done but the 1/2 ton front ends won't hold as much weight, they are quite a bit lighter duty.

Your best bet would be a Cummins 4BT which is the same engine with 2 less cylinders and a good bit lighter. Lots of people put them in 1/2 tons, old Broncos, Rangers, etc.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Keep in mind, a 4bt weighs about as much as a big block, but there were plenty of half ton big blocks.

y5mgisi

Reaction score
Funny question, but what are the dimensions of that shop? Looks about perfect.