1996 Suburban Cummins Swap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
What turbo are you planning on going with? Twins possibly? Something like an HE351 with mechanically actuated vanes would be a sweet set up.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
do have any idea how much power you are putting to the wheels?

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What turbo are you planning on going with? Twins possibly? Something like an HE351 with mechanically actuated vanes would be a sweet set up.

Twins would be awesome but I don't have unlimited funds for that. I was possibly going to try an upgraded compressor housing with new wheel as they are only about $300. But my other thought is to save a bit more money and get an Aurora 3000. I am still on the fence with what I want to do.

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do have any idea how much power you are putting to the wheels?

I don't yet. I do know stock the engine had only 160 HP. I added a smaller exhaust housing on the turbo which just made it spool faster and did a couple pump mods including the fuel pin and governor spring. Then I decided to do the head gasket and ended up with some DDP Stage 2 injectors (50-75 HP). It is just a rocket right now and I wanted to get it dynoed before I do any more mods so I can see where I am at.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I don't yet. I do know stock the engine had only 160 HP. I added a smaller exhaust housing on the turbo which just made it spool faster and did a couple pump mods including the fuel pin and governor spring. Then I decided to do the head gasket and ended up with some DDP Stage 2 injectors (50-75 HP). It is just a rocket right now and I wanted to get it dynoed before I do any more mods so I can see where I am at.

Ouch only 160 with a 454 id hate to see how much my 350 is putting down

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
The 160hp is likely from the Cummins, they were not very powerful by those numbers but had gobs of torque.

Sent from my big block powered HTC gas guzzler.

:word:

160 is the stock HP on that model of Cummins

Remember though, on an engine that doesn't even spin above 5200 RPM, you're curves are never going to cross, so HP isn't a huge consideration.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
:word:

160 is the stock HP on that model of Cummins

Remember though, on an engine that doesn't even spin above 5200 RPM, you're curves are never going to cross, so HP isn't a huge consideration.

Ohh i thought he was talking the 454 as stock engine, yah i get the diesel power numbers and id rather have torque over HP any day