1996 Suburban Cummins Swap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlaskanTrucker379

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
and with $800 worth of gauges, exhaust, and intake, you can easily turn the 12v cummins fuel pump up to make 300+ HP

Awesome conversion! I want to do one to my 7.3L IDI ford, but I think I would be getting in over my head as i've never really torn into a motor.

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ohh i thought he was talking the 454 as stock engine, yah i get the diesel power numbers and id rather have torque over HP any day

Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 160hp is likely from the Cummins, they were not very powerful by those numbers but had gobs of torque.

Sent from my big block powered HTC gas guzzler.

Yes, the 160 HP was for the Cummins. The Cummins also had 400 ft/lbs of torque stock as well.

Both numbers are less than the 454. Stock the 454 had 290 HP and 410 ft/lbs of torque. I also had the Banks Powerpack Kit (great kit, too bad they don't make it anymore) and it made the numbers 360 HP and 495 ft/lbs, this Suburban was a rocket with the 454.

It feels a little slower (although I doubt it is) than it did before but diesel power is different than gas power.

I would say with the mods I have done to the Cummins that it now has more power than the Banks Kit'ed 454 had and it is way more fun to drive, instant torque.

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
and with $800 worth of gauges, exhaust, and intake, you can easily turn the 12v cummins fuel pump up to make 300+ HP

Awesome conversion! I want to do one to my 7.3L IDI ford, but I think I would be getting in over my head as i've never really torn into a motor.

There is more information online converting Fords to Cummins than any other model, it isn't really that hard and would be easier in an early truck like yours where you didn't have to worry about the computer controlled everything.