1991 RCLB Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
So it looks like the ECM coolant temp sensor is what is causing my performance issues. Thursday drive to work the idle was randomly bouncing all over the place from high idle to almost stalling. I popped the hood and wiggled the ECM temp sensor connector and it's run perfect ever since. So new coolant sensor and pigtail is in this trucks future.

Junkyard trip this morning with JustinS. Scored me some fuel pressure regulator springs and some injectors. Grabbed a gallon of kerosene on the way home and currently soaking everything. I'll check on that stuff in a few hours.

TBI Rebuild kit arrived on Friday. Still waiting on the injector pod spacer. Will be ordering a TBI spacer really soon too.

Got to send the intake manifold to the machine shop for a good cleaning and some fix up work. The fitting for to coolant line in the back is broken off like they liked to do and I would like that drilled out and tapped for a barb fitting. Also need to hot tank it so I can paint it up and make it look good.

Got my dinger box back from JustinS after he stole it a second time. This time I noticed right away.

Oh and I diagnosed and fixed my first 6.5L turbo diesel for my guests in my cottage. Turns out the PO didn't know that a vac line from the vac pump to the turbo actuator solenoid had broken and thought a coat hanger on the wastegate was a quality fix. Replace the vac line and he has his turbo back.

That's all I got for now.

FPR springs and injectors!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Checked my mail box...injector pod spacer!! 1/4" thick from ebay.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Just finished rebuilding and modifying my first GM TBI unit. Injector pod spacer, ground down the lips around the intake ports and did a variation of the quarter mod (used a stainless washer instead which sit flush while lifting the spring at the same time).

Next up is have the spare intake manifold reconditioned at the machine shop. I have a hook up since my company uses this machine shop all the time.

Finally got around to replacing the broken fuel tank door. Got sick of the door popping open every time I turned right. The spring had rotten off. Got a replacement door at the junkyard for pennies. The paint doesn't match...don't matter because this truck will be flat black eventually.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Ok, so after rebuilding this TBI and seeing how filthy it was I have decided to add an oil catch can to the PCV system. While cleaning I found the tube for the PCV connection completely plugged solid. I imagine this is not unique to this TBI either. So for $16 shipped I bought a red aluminum oil catch can off Ebay. Should be here next week. I would hate to see all my cleaning go to waste by clogging up again...not if I can help it.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Dropped off my spare TBI manifold to the machine shop for a cleaning and to repair the coolant line in the rear that likes to snap off. He quoted me $60 to tank, sandblast and repair the fitting. I told him to take his time as I don't need it right away. I plan to use a barb fitting in place of the fitting GM supplied once the shop has the threads cleaned up. Also going to be blocking off the EGR with a plate.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dropped off my spare TBI manifold to the machine shop for a cleaning and to repair the coolant line in the rear that likes to snap off. He quoted me $60 to tank, sandblast and repair the fitting. I told him to take his time as I don't need it right away. I plan to use a barb fitting in place of the fitting GM supplied once the shop has the threads cleaned up. Also going to be blocking off the EGR with a plate.
Does blocking off the EGR give any gains in performance or better MPG ? I read on here someplace it wasn't a good idea. Causes some kind of problem. Thanks