1991 RCLB Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Got the front lines plumbed today. What a perfect day to work on it too, 70 degrees and nothing but sunshine. Had to make 2 trips to the local parts house because the employee looked at me sideways when I gave him the list of line nuts I needed. So I drove all the way home and all the way back with the master cylinder/prop valve in tow. Got everything I needed so back to work I went.

I love this copper/nickel brake line, it's so easy to work with and I think I got good results...for what the truck looks like at least.

Started by mocking up the master cylinder and the prop valve.
You must be registered for see images attach

Nothing is tight in the pic, the master still needs to come off for bench bleeding. And no, the lines are not rubbing on each other. They are close but there is no contact. I even coiled the front main line OEM style so there is some room for flex.

Ran the left front line and was able to re-use the clip for holding the line in place. I was quite proud of myself on that one.

Right front brake line was a bit more challenging. I had to work it down the right side frame rail, climb under the truck and turn it slightly so it ran across and under the oil pan then turn it again so it could climb up the left side of the engine and meet up with the tee fitting...and get the length correct at the same time. Took me two tries to get the length correct then I had to pull it off the truck to flare it on the bench vise only to have to feed back under the truck again. We got it though!

Next we get to play a game. YAY!!! The name of the game is "What's That Leak?!?"

There is a tranny fluid leak dripping from the center of the drive shaft yoke. The output seal is dry. The fluid is traveling down the center of the slip yoke and dripping out by the u-joint. Never see anything like it on any of my other rides. So what am I looking at? What's failed inside the transmission causing it to leak out of the center of the yoke?

*Poor pic but the trans fluid is coming out at the u-joint.

So I am going to bench bleed the master this weekend hopefully. I might end up running a new 1/4" line back to the rear axle. The line on the truck now was repaired but a section of old line is still in there...not good IMO. We'll see. But for now there's the latest Bob1500 update.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Awesome! I'm looking at fully re-plumbing my truck soon, so I'll wait and see if you crash and explode first, I've never used the copper nickel line, but it looks like the bees knees.

There is a split seal O-ring on the output shaft, two actually I think. Maybe be smoked. You can pull the driveshaft, and then the extension housing to see it.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Yeh, if I am able to stop then you will be good, just copy what I did.

I am still new to the 700R4 so I appreciate all the advice. I'll look into the output housing when I am done with the brakes.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Good thing I went out and checked if the rear bleeders would open as I found a leak. I think this leak is bad enough to explain the crap brakes in the first place. So I have decided that I am going to run a single piece of 1/4" copper/nickel line from the master back. None of this splicing crap. I am also going to replace the rubber line from the frame to the pumpkin. This way I know everything is new and it's done right. I understand saving money but come one, brakes are the one area where you should spare no expense...your life depends on it. So the list grows slightly and the truck stays on the jack stands for now but at least it's easy to work on. And after all this I will still have less than $300 in the entire brake system repairs.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Yeah running brake lines on a frame with stuff in the way sucks. And you are saving yourself headaches by just replacing all the hard lines now. Good call

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
I agree. From what I see it's a pretty straight shot from the axle to the master so I think with an extra set of hands...ie. the wife unit...I should be able to get this done easy enough. There are a lot of cut/bypassed lines under this truck. At one point all the fuel lines from the filter forward were replaced but they left what they replaced behind. I will clear all that out. Everything seems easy enough to get to. Still, lots of work ahead of me. Just glad I kind of know what I am doing.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I usually go the same route with older trucks. I mean, if a lime rusted in enough to leak, the line ten inches forward isn't much better off lol.