1991 RCLB Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
So glad I am replacing the rear main brake line as it snapped while I was fishing it out. It was quite rusty in one spot...the spot where it snapped. All I can say is these brakes better be damn good when I am done with this phase.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
3 autozone lines and one piece of OEM line make for poor mechanic work. And guess where the line broke? You guessed it, at the piece of leftover OEM line. I guess they wanted to save money by leaving that piece in but in the end it was a stupid move. So all that crap is cleared out. I am ready to run one piece of 1/4" copper/nickel line from the prop valve to the rear brake hose. While I am in there I am going to replace the rubber hose back there as well as both metal lines to the wheel cylinders. At that point I can declare that every piece of brake line is new. So hoping to be done with this phase soon. I want to move on to more fun things...and drive it.

****** 4 piece brake line.
You must be registered for see images attach

Broken at the piece they didn't bother to replace.

Had to remove the brake line bracket. The real shocker...the bolts didn't break, they spun off by hand.

This bugger was fused to the bracket and required being put in a vise and having the **** kicked out of it. It finally came out and will be replaced. It was a major leak spot in a sea of leaks.

So tired of working on the brakes I had to do something to make the engine bay look a little better so I removed the baffle for the air cleaner that bolts to the inner fender. Opened up the engine bay a little bit. It put up a small fight but I won. I always win, Bob1500 just hasn't learned that totally yet.

So tomorrow I will call around for the rear brake hose. I have a feeling I will be going with Parts Plus again on Monday since I get a great deal through them. AutoZone wanted $61 for the 25ft roll of 1/4" copper/nickel line. I nearly **** myself at that price.

If anyone needs a complete single stud air cleaner set up for a 5.7L let me know, I have one in good shape I will let go cheap.

That's it for today!

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I have 25' of copper nickel, with assorted fittings in my Amazon cart for like 32 dollars.

I think the distribution block/hose for the rear list for around 10 bucks on rockaway.com

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Are you talking about the rear rubber hose that attaches to the top of the pumpkin? I just bought that for $16 at Advance. I would have saved the money on Amazon but the couple days transit time made buying locally the better deal. I now have the rear hose and more 3/16" line nuts so I am ready to make some more line this afternoon. I only have the 25ft of 1/4" line and one line nut left to buy. Tomorrow I suppose.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Are you talking about the rear rubber hose that attaches to the top of the pumpkin? I just bought that for $16 at Advance. I would have saved the money on Amazon but the couple days transit time made buying locally the better deal. I now have the rear hose and more 3/16" line nuts so I am ready to make some more line this afternoon. I only have the 25ft of 1/4" line and one line nut left to buy. Tomorrow I suppose.

Yes, and I meant rockauto.com,stupid autocorrect

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Yes, and I meant rockauto.com,stupid autocorrect

Funny, I knew what you were talking about anyway LOL!

So there it is!

Of course we are still not there yet. The main line from the prop valve to the rear axle still needs to be made.

Versus this mess...
dscn1752-jpg.38423

I knew I didn't like the lines the way they were, look at that mess. Glad all that is gone!

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Ordered the retainer for the rear brake hose, the one that holds it to the frame bracket. That should be here tomorrow. Got the final 7/16's line nut for the same rear hose. Ordering 25ft of 1/4" brake line tomorrow and that should be here on Wednesday. That should be it! I will be able to say I plumbed the entire truck at this point.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
NuWay auto in Rochester NY screwed me on my retainer clip so I cancelled the order. Decided to go OEM and ordered the retainer from O'Connor Chevrolet instead. $3.33 for the part and it will be here Thursday.

Also ordered the 25' roll of 1/4" line from Parts Plus and that should be here tomorrow. So we are still moving forward...slowly at least.