1990 K2500 Better Days Ahead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a close friend of mine that I had lost touch with. He was an automotive upholsterer for 40+ years before retiring. He still has a shop at his house and is going to do the headliner and visors. He will help me "worm" the old headliner out the passenger side door of the extended cab. I had not even thought about the removal and reinstall of the headliner. He said there is a trick to it, and I will share it here when we do it. He will show me how to remove old and replace new and I will have pics when I do it, with him of course. He can get me the material at wholesale and he said whatever I do, do not use the spray on adhesive. He said to use Weldwood Vinyl Top Landau adhesive. Comes in gallon cans and he gets it wholesale for $38 a gallon. He said it takes about 2-3 cups of adhesive. The cups he is talking about is the cups that attach to a paint spray gun. I am so glad I was able to reconnect with him. A great guy and loves his beer.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Headliner/visor material is ordered. 2-1/2 yards of Saddle Tan. Took the headliner out today. This headliner has been out before. One of the Velcro pieces at the front was completely gone. The piece that attaches just above the w/s on the driver's side. There is 2 mounting holes there for it to be held in place. The pieces on the headliner are there. The d/s trim piece now has half of the plastic slide in clip piece missing toward the end before it meets the trim that is around the ext cab window glass. On the p/s, the same design trim piece has 2 metal clips that hold the vertical piece of the trim at front of door close area and the two plastic melted ears that hold that metal clip, broke off. My buddy says all can be fixed. The two wrap around trim pieces that go around the ext cab windows, popped away easily and allowed plenty of room for the headliner to slide out, tilted down in front and came right out of the p/s door opening. Literally took 45 minutes, start to finish.

You must be registered for see images attach

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
By the way, if anyone here is gonna remove and reinstall their headliner, there is crap info at you tube for the process. The idiots doing it have garbage vocabulary, Yo this and Yo that. Removing seat belt at the wall requires a torx and he said an allen would work too. Freakin' idiot. According to the videos, all are the same from 1988 to 1999. Basically, yes, very close to same but as far as an info service for it, it is very lame. My friend had already pointed out the highlights of what to do and I decided to watch a video too. His info was way better, without any videos.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
By the way, if anyone here is gonna remove and reinstall their headliner, there is crap info at you tube for the process. The idiots doing it have garbage vocabulary, Yo this and Yo that. Removing seat belt at the wall requires a torx and he said an allen would work too. Freakin' idiot. According to the videos, all are the same from 1988 to 1999. Basically, yes, very close to same but as far as an info service for it, it is very lame. My friend had already pointed out the highlights of what to do and I decided to watch a video too. His info was way better, without any videos.
Maybe some of us need to make a video on it. Doesn't sound like it's too difficult,if those idiots could figure it out.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I retired and started to work out of my garage at home. I did some you tube videos of work I was doing on my girl's 2002 TrailBlazer, 73k miles on it. Ignition switch and plugs and ignition coils....etc. It was a PITA. Slowed me down. Too many things had to be just right and lighted right and lined up right. Stopped doing it.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those thin plastic tabs are a crazy idea since they push into a metal clip that has way to much holding power and just rips the plastic apart.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Those thin plastic tabs are a crazy idea since they push into a metal clip that has way to much holding power and just rips the plastic apart.
It's like pushing 2 fingers in Chinese handcuffs. The clip is attached with a sheet metal screw to the metal of the roof and is hidden by the headliner. It would be easy to drill another hole to the side and reattach the screw/clip and then can push the plastic tab, that is not broke off, in to that clip and the end of the trim piece is about 6" away and is held at the end, under the trim piece that wraps around the ext cab window. All good.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Back when I did my headliner, I used a forum post on here from @sewlow to guide me through it. It gave me amazing results especially since it was my first headliner I’ve ever done.