1990 K2500 Radio/Equalizer Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, got the new $225 basic radio set up from Retro. I know it will replace the unit in my dash. BUT, is the graphic equalizer just disconnected and completely out of the system? The tuner? that is buried in the dash, I see how to get to it and even remove it. Do I need to just disconnect and attach my supplied harnesses from Retro, to the disconnected harnesses? Can I do that and just remove that tuner? from inside the dash?

I would not ask BUT, I cannot find any videos at you tube for removing the OE radio and installing a Retro unit in a GMT400 1990 K2500. The ones, at you tube, that have a truck about the same year or model, are installing a different radio set up and not a Retro unit. I went to Retro website and there is no install videos, that I can find.

Give me an engine or steering or suspension or brakes or.........any day of the week, but please, I need a walk thru for this radio swap. I had some time today and did remove the cluster trim and removed screws and pulled radio head out but could see that it was gonna require more deeper digging and put it back together. Help please and thanks.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Ok, got the new $225 basic radio set up from Retro. I know it will replace the unit in my dash. BUT, is the graphic equalizer just disconnected and completely out of the system? The tuner? that is buried in the dash, I see how to get to it and even remove it. Do I need to just disconnect and attach my supplied harnesses from Retro, to the disconnected harnesses? Can I do that and just remove that tuner? from inside the dash?

I would not ask BUT, I cannot find any videos at you tube for removing the OE radio and installing a Retro unit in a GMT400 1990 K2500. The ones, at you tube, that have a truck about the same year or model, are installing a different radio set up and not a Retro unit. I went to Retro website and there is no install videos, that I can find.

Give me an engine or steering or suspension or brakes or.........any day of the week, but please, I need a walk thru for this radio swap. I had some time today and did remove the cluster trim and removed screws and pulled radio head out but could see that it was gonna require more deeper digging and put it back together. Help please and thanks.
The separate graphic equalizer/cassette player is nonfunctional and won't be used. The factory radio processing unit that's further up in the dash should be removed. The Retrosound unit has another processing unit to replace that one. I was able to rig up the original mounting bracket for the old unit to hold the Retrosound unit. Of course, the faceplate attaches to that unit via a connection. The factory harness plugs into processing unit itself. There should have been a harness in the packaging to bridge that. I said before that I didn't see it and spliced into my factory harness with the Retrosound connector. There was some digging involved. It was a two day project for me to get it all together and buttoned up. That was in the summer heat of S Georgia, though.

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The separate graphic equalizer/cassette player is nonfunctional and won't be used. The factory radio processing unit that's further up in the dash should be removed. The Retrosound unit has another processing unit to replace that one. I was able to rig up the original mounting bracket for the old unit to hold the Retrosound unit. Of course, the faceplate attaches to that unit via a connection. The factory harness plugs into processing unit itself. There should have been a harness in the packaging to bridge that. I said before that I didn't see it and spliced into my factory harness with the Retrosound connector. There was some digging involved. It was a two day project for me to get it all together and buttoned up. That was in the summer heat of S Georgia, though.
I see an extra harness and assume it is the adaptor you speak of. So, if I understand you right, the graphic equalizer is just disconnected and not used, remove the processing unit/tuner and just use the adaptor harness and antenna connection and it all should work, correct?

Are you saying that the new Retro unit does not just bolt in to place of the old unit? The faceplate attaches normally?

In the videos I watched at you tube, the processing unit/tuner had a support bracket that looks to be easily removed and then there is another bracket that looked a little like a PITA to remove. I think that supports the graphic equalizer unit. I am assuming that bracket does not need to be removed unless I am installing a different kit/radio in that hole?

That second bracket I speak of, has a sort of tri-pod mount at the back and a single screw mount at the front.

Last edited:

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I see an extra harness and assume it is the adaptor you speak of. So, if I understand you right, the graphic equalizer is just disconnected and not used, remove the processing unit/tuner and just use the adaptor harness and antenna connection and it all should work, correct?

Are you saying that the new Retro unit does not just bolt in to place of the old unit? The faceplate attaches normally?

In the videos I watched at you tube, the processing unit/tuner had a support bracket that looks to be easily removed and then there is another bracket that looked a little like a PITA to remove. I think that supports the graphic equalizer unit. I am assuming that bracket does not need to be removed unless I am installing a different kit/radio in that hole?

That second bracket I speak of, has a sort of tri-pod mount at the back and a single screw mount at the front.
It's been a couple of years, but if I remember correctly I was able to use the factory bracket for the processing unit with the Retrosound unit. It may have taken a little effort, I think. Yes, the faceplate attaches with no problem like the orginal. I just left the equalizer/cassette in place with the harness tucked in the dash, some choose to remove it and replace it with a pocket. The factory antenna is used and plugged into an adapter.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's been a couple of years, but if I remember correctly I was able to use the factory bracket for the processing unit with the Retrosound unit. It may have taken a little effort, I think. Yes, the faceplate attaches with no problem like the orginal. I just left the equalizer/cassette in place with the harness tucked in the dash, some choose to remove it and replace it with a pocket. The factory antenna is used and plugged into an adapter.
Ok, I will dig in and see what happens. Thanks.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Ok, I will dig in and see what happens. Thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach

You can see from this pic the effort mine took. I did, however, use the inline amp from Restround (Quadraphonic), so you won't have that in your build. You can also see where I spliced into the factory harness up near the dash. The harness adapter should be used to plug into the factory with no splicing needed. At this point, I was testing to make sure everything worked before mounting the processing unit, faceplate, and buttoning everything up.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You can see from this pic the effort mine took. I did, however, use the inline amp from Restround (Quadraphonic), so you won't have that in your build. You can also see where I spliced into the factory harness up near the dash. The harness adapter should be used to plug into the factory with no splicing needed. At this point, I was testing to make sure everything worked before mounting the processing unit, faceplate, and buttoning everything up.
Thankfully, I hope, my endeavor should be way simpler.