xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
X2 on wire brush method. Have you ever soaked rusted metal in vinegar, actually works pretty good. YouTube it.

This, and muriatic acid is even more aggressive. For the wire wheel though, you may need a knotted cup brush. They're a lot more aggressive. Maybe start with that and finish with the vinegar/acid. Then balance, then paint. But for the 2 piece, you may need the whole thing assembled and timed, i.e. mark the position of the 2 relative to each other prior to balancing and make sure to keep it there.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X2 on wire brush method. Have you ever soaked rusted metal in vinegar, actually works pretty good. YouTube it.
The vinegar works great, but you neutralize it with a spray bottle of water and tri sodium phosphate. Then dry it off, prime, and paint. You can buy TSP in powder form at either lowes or home depot in the paint section. TSP and water mixture prevents flash rust when you rinse it off.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This, and muriatic acid is even more aggressive. For the wire wheel though, you may need a knotted cup brush. They're a lot more aggressive. Maybe start with that and finish with the vinegar/acid. Then balance, then paint. But for the 2 piece, you may need the whole thing assembled and timed, i.e. mark the position of the 2 relative to each other prior to balancing and make sure to keep it there.
Sounds good. Thank you.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vinegar works great, but you neutralize it with a spray bottle of water and tri sodium phosphate. Then dry it off, prime, and paint. You can buy TSP in powder form at either lowes or home depot in the paint section. TSP and water mixture prevents flash rust when you rinse it off.
Nice! Good to know.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent a driveshaft out to be rebuilt and balanced. They painted over the old grease and used the cheapest u joints. Definitely balance BEFORE paint. They’ll just scratch it and you’ve got to be deliberate to out of balance a shaft with spray paint lol

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent a driveshaft out to be rebuilt and balanced. They painted over the old grease and used the cheapest u joints. Definitely balance BEFORE paint. They’ll just scratch it and you’ve got to be deliberate to out of balance a shaft with spray paint lol
I’ve never had one balanced. Seems like they would bring it down to bare metal or apparently they just incorporate chunks of rust as part of the balance. Unless you clean it up first.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F*** these transfer case bolts!!!

Where's a damn stubby 15mm when you need one?!

Edit: Had to dig into my box of tools I never use but wouldn't throw away.

Not a true stubby but might make my job less miserable. W.

You must be registered for see images attach

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The vinegar only works when you submerge the part for several days in it. Cowl standpipes for my old barracuda. That was 1 week submerged. Then scrubbed with a wire brush and rinsed with TSP and water.

Attachments

• 20210805_132613.jpg
    20210805_132613.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210806_131150.jpg
    20210806_131150.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210810_190448.jpg
    20210810_190448.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 11