X pipe help and thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am thinking about putting an x pipe on my 1997 vortec 5.7 L . I have true duel ext. with old school glass packs on there now. I don't want to change out any of that. I removed the factory muffler, and installed the 2 glass packs some time ago. Then installed 2 tail pipes, so in front of the glass, there are 2 pipes (factory) and behind the glass packs 2 larger pipes. I also have summit shorty headers on there. The truck has been tuned and has a cold air filter with a 170 degree thermostat. So here is the question, will an X pipe give me more performance? More bottom end? more top end? or just all round better. Common sense tells me top end, but I have never messed with one. And how will effect the gas millage?

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
If I were you

I would get an H-pipe exhaust, I believe dynomax has a bolt on exhaust for our trucks

H-pipes are known to improve low end power and it would probably be more beneficial to your truck. plus H-pipes sound better (in my opinion)

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Putting in an X pipe should help the give more torque, depending on where it is installed. An H pipe would too but an X will help with scavenging to be more efficient.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
^All true statements^
Both an H or X pipe will change the sound of your exhaust and one sounds different from the other.
If you don't want to change the sound of your exhaust, then I wouldn't install either one.
I personally like the tone that an H pipe adds to the exhaust note.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Either or would help your exhaust. You actually hurt it by taking the factory Y pipe out and making it true dual. You've lost all scavenging effect.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
never had a y pipe. It had 1 muffler with 2 pipes in and 1 pipe out

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
never had a y pipe. It had 1 muffler with 2 pipes in and 1 pipe out

The scavenging would of occurred inside the muffler.
In my BBC Nova, I could feel the diff that an 'H' pipe made the second I got on it outa the muffler shop.
Never had an 'X' pipe, but seems to me that the flow of the exhaust is that much more even.
Either will change the idle sound of your truck. It'll sound smoother @ idle.
For instance, if your truck idles @ 1000rpm, that's 250 exhaust pulses per. Without the 'X' or 'H', that's 125 pulses per side with the true duals. The 'X' or 'H' will even that out back to 250 on both sides.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think I will put one on in a few weeks. I was wondering mostly about how the pipes cross over under the truck. On these old 90s models, they both run on the passengers side, because of the fuel tank. That made me wonder about the different length, drivers side being longer than passengers, measuring from the muffler forward. The drivers ext. actually comes out on the passengers side and vice versa, with the passengers side going around the spare tire and coming out on the drivers side. LOL are you confused yet ? So the x pipe would go in front of the mufflers, but would the extra length of pipe on the drivers side act any differently that the passengers side? Or would the (scavenge effect) not really be affected?

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't think it would matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk