Writeup: Throttle Blade Removal Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
On the inside of your throttle-body is a little blade that swivels back and forth when you press down the gas pedal, letting more or less air into the engine. On the edge of the plate is a small lip, which slows down the airflow, making for slower accelerations (which some people like). Removing the blade makes throttle response faster and slightly more low end power due to the easier airflow.

I will do my best to make this easy to understand, and if you think I am dumbing it down, that's cuz you never know what people might need to know. There's a couple of things I wish I had known ahead of time.

I have never worked on a throttle-body before and I figured it out, so I'm sure any one else out there can.

ENGINES: '96+
TIME TO COMPLETE: -30 minutes

SUPPLIES: threadlocker, (and rivets if you want them)

1- Here is the engine bay as you should find it- I have already done the airtake-silencer mod, so that is why there is no air-silencer box in this Vortec.
You must be registered for see images attach

2- We have to get the air intake off, so just unscrew this big plastic wingnut.

3- She'll slide right off, allowing us to move on to the throttle-body

4- The enemy has been spotted.

5- Unclip these doo-dads from the right side of the TB, they just have little tabs you unhook

6- Now there is more than one way to go about this- we could take off the plate now and do our job, but we risk dropping screws into the intake- a risk that could cost you lots of time and $$$, so let's go the safe route and pull the TB off. (if you feel like being risky, skip to step 11)

You will find a 5/16" bolt here on the right-

and here on the left-

7- There is one more in the back, the base of the plastic-wingnut we pulled off earlier. This will be a size 7/32"

another angle of the same spot

8- This 10mm bolt on the front of the TB will need to go. It is holding a bracket to the TB.

9- And Voila! TB disattached. You can unhook the throttle cables and stuff if you feel like it, but that is unnecessary. You have enough play to do the rest of the job right here.

10- Plug the intake with a clean rag- you don't want any dirt or parts falling in there or you will be screwed. Now, unscrew the two tiny torque-bit screws on the TB plate-

11- The plate is NOT screwed onto a bar, it is sandwhiched between two semi-circle bars which I try to show in this picture. So you'll have to pull the spring back so the plate turns on edge, as if the throttle were wide open, and give a tug upwards on the blade.

and she'll pull right out

10- The circled portion is what we want to take off- you can use a hack saw or whatever you want- I just took it to a bench grinder and had her shined up in about 30 seconds. Soft, thin metal, it won't give you much trouble. Hose the plate and the TB down with carb-cleaner since you are already in there. ***

11- Now the easy part- we put her back together. Here is the new profile of the blade. When putting in these screw BE SURE to use RED THREADLOCKER- if you do not, you risk one of those little innocent looking screws jiggling loose and seriously f@*#ing up your engine.

12- Get the TB back on, moving in reverse order. Remember to put your little electric clips on and reattach your throttle cables, if you pulled them off.

13- Now put back on the air intake and screw the wingnut back on.

***some people pull the entire plate off, rivets and all- if you want to go that route, just be certain to replug the holes you create with new rivets or your idle speed and shifting patterns will be all screwed up.

And now you are finished! Enjoy the power gain in low RPM range and off-the-line boost. Some people even report slightly increased mileage.

Last edited:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
how long does this take to do?

It says at the top of the post ^^^

but if you had all the tools lined up ahead of time probably 20-25 minutes. I lost a lot of time fiddling around trying to find the right size sockets/wrenches- the tool box was on the other side of the shop and it was dark out.

McMuscle3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
haha, I can't believed I missed that.lol I feel like I could totally screw this little process up... So you cut off the little bit that you circled in red? that way the little "circle flap" is actually a flat circle?

Does it just need trimmed a little or actually cut off?

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
haha, I can't believed I missed that.lol I feel like I could totally screw this little process up... So you cut off the little bit that you circled in red? that way the little "circle flap" is actually a flat circle?

Does it just need trimmed a little or actually cut off?

Same way I felt, but once you get in there it's easy to see what we are doing. That flap is blocking air- we gotta remove it so that the "circle flap" is completely flat, like a pancake. Don't buzz off any metal by the rivets though- just the part that is sticking up around the rim. It's kind of like shaving the bill off a ball cap if that makes sense. That's all we are doing.

If it makes you feel better, use a grinder to do all the work. Buzz that lip until it is gone.

McMuscle3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah makes sense. I may try to takle this tomorrow! BTW Vortec Lover I may be picking up some rims here within the week..Hopefully tomorrow evening!!!

McMuscle3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will do!! I went to the junkyard today but couln't find anyone there.lol Il be making another trip tomorrow.haha

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Just curious if this will work on a TBI or if there is even a lip on the throttle of the TBI