Wow, didn't think it would be that much to repaint my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went to my local paint and body shop just to get an idea of what it will cost to repaint my truck. For the original color, they said around $7000

He explained that they take everything off and apart, not just paint the outside. And they guarantee/warranty the job also. I know that's a lot of work but is $7000 a lot to pay or is that a pretty average price?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what a full on paintjob should cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds about right for a good as factory or better paint job. Now I wont spend that type of money for one on a 3k truck. But if youre going with the factory color then there is no need to blow it all apart. Ive had those done for around 2-4k.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, he said its not worth it. And not to waste my money on a paint job unless it had some sentimentle value and Im never going to sell it.

He said that it it was his truck, he'd just clean it up and drive it or do a quick flat/satin black with gloss Z71 emblems and stripes

I'd like it to just be all one color and not gloss, flat and peeling.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I once got a paint job from a chain called MAACO, it was only like $800 for their top of the line paint job. And for $800 it looked great. But if you do the prepwork yourself it would come out way better. I will be going this route but with a 2k job from a local shop and me doing the prep work.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Paint jobs are not cheap anymore. I have seen people drop $5-10K. Like mentioned, prep work makes the difference.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
For my truck I will be painting it myself sometime next spring if all works out. It will be my third vehicle I have painted. My Impala I had professionally painted and it cost me over 4K all said and done. I am hoping to get all the materials for my truck for under $400.00.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly, I have my eye on an old squarebody and I plan on just rattle canning it one panel at a time. I wont really care about the exact quality, just to avoid rust spots, plus a flat finish on those old trucks give it character. Or maybe having my dad help me do it with actual automotive paint. He's done his tonneau cover a few times, and it's turned out well.

nailhead

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is about the going rate for a complete paint job that is base coat clearcoat. I'm a autobody painter for a living and I know the complete paint jobs at are shop start at 7-10 grand. Just the material alone now days is close to 2grand. It sucks. Maaco is a cheaper way to go. But you do get what you pay for. I've seen people spend 20-30 grand for paint jobs on show cars. That's insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. My body shop estimated my Suburban at about $6.5K. Needless to say I've been just nursing it along until I can justify the cash for that.