Worked the 05 today, pretty surprised

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
So I had 1 yard of a sand/top soil mix in the bed today and was very surprised at the amount it squatted with this. In my old cc I had the same mixture but had 2 yards and only squatted a little less then 2 inches, this truck squatted 5.5 inches. I know it is a 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton but I really didn't expect that much of a difference, I guess NBS's are just ******.

You must be registered for see images attach

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I know between my 88 and my 02 (both 1/2ton, RC stepside 4x4s) they have the same length and width rear springs, but the 02 has 1 less spring.

The 88 has 3 leaves and an overload, while the 02 has 2 leaves and an overload. The 02 squats so much more than the 88 does under load. My 99 is a 3/4ton, and it's an entirely different animal. IIRC it should have 2 or 3 more leaves than your 05 does.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
:shitsweak: come on, how often do you get to use that smiley. It is obvious, though, that you need to find your way into an OBS again, this is a sign. :cheers:

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I know between my 88 and my 02 (both 1/2ton, RC stepside 4x4s) they have the same length and width rear springs, but the 02 has 1 less spring.

The 88 has 3 leaves and an overload, while the 02 has 2 leaves and an overload. The 02 squats so much more than the 88 does under load. My 99 is a 3/4ton, and it's an entirely different animal. IIRC it should have 2 or 3 more leaves than your 05 does.

Yep my 2000 had 5 leaves and an overload, I just couldn't believe that a "truck" would squat that much with that load. Definitely surprised me.

damn man. 3/4 ton springs in future?

Nope it is currently for sale because of my financial situation, I would rather have fun with my money then spend it on truck payments.
More than likely I will end up driving this...ignore my little brother

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
heard that man. should of stuck with the 98 or the 2000.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
The 98 needed a lot of work, I gave that truck a year of hell and put it up wet everytime so that was turning into a money pit quick. The 2000, yes I should have kept it looking back but I also wanted to change a lot of the truck so it would have been a lot of money too.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The newer model's are less and less what I would call a real truck, unless you move in to the HD's that is.

BOTMAN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An OBS 1500 would have squatted just as bad. I had a piano in the back of my obs before the drop and it dropped it 4-5" at least. I swapped in my hotchkis springs hauled the same piano, and it squatted 1/2".

Stock 1500 springs are just made for comfort. IMO.