Won't shift into park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8thNote

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
96 Suburban K1500 5.7 4L60E. Transmission will not shift into park. Goes into every gear just fine. Any suggestions on easiest way to adjust the linkage?

Thanks

8thNote

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess: your transmission shifter cable has probably blown out the side. It is under the carpet under your feet. Pretty straightforward job to replace it though.

Blown out the side of what?

Would that only prevent park but allow every other gear ?

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep... the cable blows out of it's sheath under your feet. It will pull fine, but will bow out on the push and not fully engage the shifter into P on the side of the tranny.

I've had it happen a few times and that is just what it does. You can crawl under truck and manually push it in Park though. Make sure you use the ebrake and chocks.

I had no e-brake on one of my incidents and it became... interesting.

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
96 Suburban K1500 5.7 4L60E. Transmission will not shift into park. Goes into every gear just fine. Any suggestions on easiest way to adjust the linkage?

Thanks
Chock the front wheels then jack up the rear wheels or all four of them. Then put the trans in neutral (key on-engine off so you can move the column shifter).

Disconnect the cable at the trans and see if you can place it into park yourself using the selector shaft arm on the transmission. If you can, problem is def the cable. If you cannot (you may need to turn the rear drive shaft a little to engage the parking pawl w/the parking gear) then problem is somewhere in the trans.

99% of the time, its cable but the above is one way to know for sure...

8thNote

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep... the cable blows out of it's sheath under your feet. It will pull fine, but will bow out on the push and not fully engage the shifter into P on the side of the tranny.

I've had it happen a few times and that is just what it does. You can crawl under truck and manually push it in Park though. Make sure you use the ebrake and chocks.

I had no e-brake on one of my incidents and it became... interesting.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it asap and report back (I'm out of town ATM and the 'burb is at home).

Thankfully I have a good parking brake

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My guess: your transmission shifter cable has probably blown out the side. It is under the carpet under your feet. Pretty straightforward job to replace it though.

Replace it??? Why??? My zip ties are still holding fine :ROFLJest: (it's not a daily driver anymore)