Won't idle, new 5.7 vortec crate engine, all new everything and 0411pcm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch the video in the link, https://photos.app.goo.gl/kkNjVZGdbMum4dF88.
It won't idle ,no codes on new ATK HP74 315+HP crate engine. Fixed vacuum leak and now it runs worse than it did sucking air past injector assembly. I honestly don't think they tuned the 0411pcm correctly. I'm beyond broke and can't afford to keep taking it in to the shop that installed it. The reason I despise mechanic shops. They charge you for stuff that should have been done right the first time you paid them. Any ideas on how to resolve this? If it had a carburetor and vacuum advance I could fix it myself.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it run and drive fine? When I did my 0411 I had the same idle issue, and it turned out to be the fuse for my MAF was blown,

Greasemagnet

Reaction score
Can you check the fuel pressure ? Mine is a 97 and it sounded like that twice, it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator and the spider injectors.

densobro

Reaction score
I’m in the same situation, brand new 5.7 and 4l60e transmission all in one go and they didn’t put my heat shields back on for the headers and the neutral safety switch wasn’t set correctly and a couple other things I’m slowly coming across

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It won't idle ,no codes on new ATK HP74 315+HP crate engine.
Stop looking for "codes". Start looking at the data stream.

Connect a scan tool, find out what the computer is trying to tell you.

Verify fuel pressure.

(I'd also be looking at cam timing and distributor phasing, but that's because I don't trust ATK.)

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, unfortunately the shop that installed it won't listen to me and connect to the computer to make adjustments or see what the data tables show. I checked the distributor and timing marks today, everything was like I figured dead nuts because no codes. The fuel pressure is good. same MPFI assembly just new injectors on the spider assembly. I ordered new flow matched injectors since the others had about 50K/7yrs on them. I had already upgraded to the mpfi in 2015. The 0411 was running my old engine perfect with some performance tuning for the stock engine prior to installing the new engine a few months later. I have checked every fuse and I've swapped my old sensors out on everything except the crank shaft position sensor to just make sure it's not a faulty sensor of any kind. No change. So I put my new Delphi and ac Delco professional sensors back in.
The shop that installed it wouldn't listen to me when I told them that it had to be tuned properly at start up to run so it didn't run rich or lean voiding the warranty, of course they acted like I didn't know anything. Anyway they told me after installation that they put a stock tune in and I'd have to tune it more when I can afford my headers and new exhaust. Unfortunately due to being on disability that might be a year or 2 from now.
As far as ATK, yeah my faith in their abilities isn't very high either. The morons put the wrong valve covers on the engine. They put pre 96 center bolt covers on a vortec. The baffled holes for the breather and PCV we're upside down backwards,or left cover on right side, and vice versa, if that makes sense. The drivers side PCV had no baffles and the baffled part was in front for the oil filler plug. Needless to say I put a puke can to stop the oil from entering the intake fowling everything out. Only 1,000miles, 8wks, on the engine and the spark plugs are covered in carbon build up from burning rich, see the picture. It was going through half a quart a week. Finally I ordered a factory OEM set of covers to fully resolve that issue. I'm trying to find someone in my area that knows and understands how to fix the fuel maps or whatever it's called in the computer. So far not really having any luck on finding any tuners or shops that know how to adjust that stuff. To me if you have a computer that can reflash and adjust the PCM then any shop with a mechanic that knows how to operate their system would know how to do it.
Maybe I don't understand the process.
It's just frustrating!
I greatly appreciate everyone's input thus far. Those of you experiencing similar issues,I hope y'all can get your Engines sorted out soon as well. If I can ever get it resolved I'll definitely post what the cure is.

Attachments

• KIMG2258.JPG
    KIMG2258.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 9

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is pretty old but I'm having this issue right now. Funny thing is it's an ATK engine as well. I've already found a lot of things that weren't right on this engine. Did the valve covers solve the issue. The ones they put on this engine the baffles don't look the same as the original. Found oil all up in the lower intake even in the valves dripped all the way down there since the ports are right there. I was thinking of maybe finding some at the junk some oe ones