Wireless Charging? Incorporated Into Dash Pocket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any progress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Progress yet, life got in the way of this project at the moment. But I will say I got the iPhone 11 Pro and with a outterbox symmetry case and its long. So for how that dash pocket is designed the phone sticks out on the lip. So there is a gap beneath the phone, so it looking like maybe just buying a rectangle charging pad and possibly epoxying it down to the bottom of the dash pocket will be the easiest solution. Then Poking the wires out the back side of the pocket and under the dash making the power connection. So Ill have to see if I can find a square/rectangle charge pad that would fit good in the right or left side of the pocket and be just as thick or little bit thicker so the phone does not rest on the lip of the bezel.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No Progress yet, life got in the way of this project at the moment. But I will say I got the iPhone 11 Pro and with a outterbox symmetry case and its long. So for how that dash pocket is designed the phone sticks out on the lip. So there is a gap beneath the phone, so it looking like maybe just buying a rectangle charging pad and possibly epoxying it down to the bottom of the dash pocket will be the easiest solution. Then Poking the wires out the back side of the pocket and under the dash making the power connection. So Ill have to see if I can find a square/rectangle charge pad that would fit good in the right or left side of the pocket and be just as thick or little bit thicker so the phone does not rest on the lip of the bezel.
I'd pull the dash, and slice a little bit out of the bottom with a rotary saw, and epoxy it with a C clamp holding the seam together. Take about 3/16" out of it and you should be flush with the lip that way.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
You should be able to gut any Qi charger and give it the power it needs with a regulator, and mount it under a thin flat surface that you can set your phone on.. No need to buy a $150 kit.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd pull the dash, and slice a little bit out of the bottom with a rotary saw, and epoxy it with a C clamp holding the seam together. Take about 3/16" out of it and you should be flush with the lip that way.

Yea I thought about doing that but my dash bezel is still in great shape and Id rather not cut away at that just so the phone sits flat in the pocket. Right now the angle that the phone sits in i can almost fit my pointer finger under the phone. So its quite a big gap between the phone and pocket.

But I dont care hacking up the pocket itself since those are cheap lol Just not the dash.

Ill have to take some photos and post here

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should be able to gut any Qi charger and give it the power it needs with a regulator, and mount it under a thin flat surface that you can set your phone on.. No need to buy a $150 kit.

Yes you are correct and got a point. Before I didn't even have my new phone yet so I had no idea how big it would be. So I was hoping I could build up the bottom of the pocket and make it level with the front of the bezel and buy that charge pad to make it look like a factory piece. And if I can get a cleaner install from a $150 custom kit charge pad I would do it.

But also i'm not sure were I could put this since the note pad on the center counsel I do use and there really isnt any other good flat spots to do it unless I some how put it in my center counsel.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I thought about doing that but my dash bezel is still in great shape and Id rather not cut away at that just so the phone sits flat in the pocket. Right now the angle that the phone sits in i can almost fit my pointer finger under the phone. So its quite a big gap between the phone and pocket.

But I dont care hacking up the pocket itself since those are cheap lol Just not the dash.

Ill have to take some photos and post here
I was saying to cut the pocket so it would be difficult roo impossible to see...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No need to hack the bezel, and maybe not even the pocket. If the charging pad sits below the bezel lip just use some scrap material underneath the pad and trim/test fit until it sits level with the bezel edge. Or did I misunderstand something?

Oh BTW the charge-through-the-TPU-case issue I mentioned earlier totally solved by using the Anker Power Wave 10w charger. Picked up a couple of 'em and they work just fine through the case on my wife's phone. I almost bought the Samsung charger thinking it would work best with the Samsung phone, but reviews specifically said it sucked charging through cases.

Richard

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No need to hack the bezel, and maybe not even the pocket. If the charging pad sits below the bezel lip just use some scrap material underneath the pad and trim/test fit until it sits level with the bezel edge. Or did I misunderstand something?

Oh BTW the charge-through-the-TPU-case issue I mentioned earlier totally solved by using the Anker Power Wave 10w charger. Picked up a couple of 'em and they work just fine through the case on my wife's phone. I almost bought the Samsung charger thinking it would work best with the Samsung phone, but reviews specifically said it sucked charging through cases.

Richard

You didnt miss anything, you have the right idea for what i am thinking of trying to do. Then just cutting a whole in the back for the power wire so you dont see it coming out the front. But yea im hoping my case is thin enough so i dont go through buying 5 different chargers lol I know it works on the samsung one at the moment haha.