Window regulators and motors, what should I get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFastMan

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I recently rejoined the GMT400 club after picking up a nice '89 C1500 Silverado last November. I've been fixing little things for a while. The latest project is the power windows and locks which didn't work when I got the truck. All the switches were sticking, so I ordered new ones off ebay. The window switches arrived today and I quickly installed them to find my driver window would only go down a few inches and it took some effort to get it back up. The passenger side works fine. I'm quite sure the motor is dead. I haven't replaced a window motor or regulator before and I see there are a LOT of options out there. I found a set on eBay for $32 with the motor and regulator. If I buy them separately from the usual suspects they are about $40 each. I'm skeptical of parts that cheap from eBay. I only want to crack this egg once, so has anyone used the eBay regulators/motors? Anyone else to check out? I have some boneyards nearby, but I'd rather buy new.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your regulator may not be bad, it may just be sticking from too much crud in the roller tracks. When I took my doors apart to change out the locks I cleaned up the tracks and sprayed them liberally with white lithium grease. Now they go up and down twice as fast as they did before.

Either way you'll need 4 ea 1/4" rivets and 8 (I think) 3/16" rivets along with this kind of rivet tool from HF.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: