will not start after you drive it for a while

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
If it's cranking over and not starting, the starter obviously isn't the problem. You are either not getting fuel or not getting spark. You need to see which one of those is missing when it doesn't start. You can get a cheap tool to check the ignition when it fails. Pull off a spark plug wire, plug the tool in and it grounds to something with a clip. You can then crank over the engine and see if you have spark. A yes or no there will either answer which of the two is missing at failure.

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it runs fine once its started id say its probably a spark issue. coil would be a good bet especially if it always starts cold and sometimes acts up when hot. If not there is an outside chance it could be cap/rotor.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I had a gmt400 with a bad ground that would cause the injectors not to fire. The ground cable that goes to the battery should have a little separate ground that runs to the fender right next to the battery. Mine had a bad connection from corrosion and would intermittently cause several things not to have power, inluding the computer. Just make sure that ground is good to the body.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Cleaning all power and ground connections is always a good idea. It may not be the problem, but it couldn't hurt. My 97 was cutting off at random while driving, and would fire right back up. It ended up being a power wire that had a minor amount of corrosion.