Why is there fresh oil on my starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
I had a pic, but it's too large to upload or something...

Anyway, my starter has fresh looking oil on it, especially on the base where it attaches to the truck. I've got a 7.4

The oil seems to be primarily just on the starter, not so much around it and I don't see anything from above looking down. It's not much of a leak, as there are no signs of oil under the truck on the ground.

Any thoughts on where the leak is coming from?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the starter? Take a look at your valve cover gaskets...and your oil pressure switch area..

sent from what use to be a great country...

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
On the starter? Take a look at your valve cover gaskets...and your oil pressure switch area..

sent from what use to be a great country...

The valve covers look good from what I can tell, and I just had them redone a few hundred miles ago, so they better still be good! I'll research that oil pressure switch and take a look.

Have a look at the oil dipstick tube where it goes into the block.

I'll check check that out too.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I've had oil on my starter since I got the truck. I've got valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket sitting in the shop, just need time to install it. I'll have to check these other places as well

mistaake

Reaction score
You can post image with imgur if its big. if you create free account you can manage/view/edit/delte them any time. sometimes their site is down for logging in but viewing images is usually ok

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Don't worry about it! Just keep it lubricated and it will last forever. :)

Yeah, maybe this. The more I look around, the more I'm seeing that I simply can't see anything without removing my starter - don't know that I care enough to do this right now. There are no visible signs of leakage anywhere, except that the starter is oily.