Who's got an original silverado sport?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Correct, the Sport trim was just an appearance package, essentially a regular 2WD truck that was monochromatic.

The rims might be oem 88-91 square body 2WD Burb rims, saw those type of rims on a 95-up 2WD Tahoe last week, but it had the stock center caps, so that tells me they must've came on the square body era. They are nice rims nonetheless, can never go wrong with 8 hole rims.

1989 Sport

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum. I have an all original 1989 Sport Package (BYP code) 4x4. It also has the Z71 and G80 codes listed on the tag in the glove box. I would like to know the rarity of these trucks if anyone has some info. Wikipedia shows " only about 5400 were built in 1989. And only one of those is known on the road today." don't know if that's true or not. I would hate to think I'm daily driving the last one LOL.
Anyway
You must be registered for see images attach
here is a pic of mine. And the Chevrolet magazine ad for the truck.

1989 Sport

Reaction score
Thanks 98chevy2500SS. Some more info that i have found on the BYP code for the 4x4 is they have black fender flares,the front air dam didn't get the fog lights like the 2wd did,different front sway bar (can't rember the number) and black tow hooks not chrome. The GM Heritage website has all of the RPO codes listed that were available for each year of these trucks. Good way to loose a couple hours.

Rich Johns

Reaction score
Thanks 98chevy2500SS. Some more info that i have found on the BYP code for the 4x4 is they have black fender flares,the front air dam didn't get the fog lights like the 2wd did,different front sway bar (can't rember the number) and black tow hooks not chrome. The GM Heritage website has all of the RPO codes listed that were available for each year of these trucks. Good way to loose a couple hours.

89 Sport
You own a very rare first year 1989 Chevy Sport 4x4.
Only 178 were built during 1/2 year initial production in 1989.
These truck were only built in Black, Red and White, white being the rarest color.
Go to my website www.purestockauto.com and click on partial restorations tab and you will see my 1992 Chevy Sport 4x4 final year for these rare trucks plus more info.

e-fin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum. I have an all original 1989 Sport Package (BYP code) 4x4. It also has the Z71 and G80 codes listed on the tag in the glove box. I would like to know the rarity of these trucks if anyone has some info. Wikipedia shows " only about 5400 were built in 1989. And only one of those is known on the road today." don't know if that's true or not. I would hate to think I'm daily driving the last one LOL.
Anyway
here is a pic of mine. And the Chevrolet magazine ad for the truck.

89 Sport holy crap that’s cool! Time warp. Throw a black single hoop roll bar with single kicker and slightly oversized tires on it and that and a couple year old IROC with T tops sitting new on a lot somewhere would have been my first 2 purchases if I could have won the lottery in 1989 at 20 years old! Awesome truck!!!