92 K1500 Sport the work begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edgartwib

Reaction score
Hi guys I finally have the time to begin the write up for the baseline and light restore for my 30 year old K1500.
Here's my intro post. With pictures so I don't repeat myself https://www.gmt400.com/threads/new-with-a-92-k1500-sport-4x4.61390/

After owning the truck for about two months and saving a little cash to begin the project. I have started to purchase parts for the base line.

The only new thing to note thst i have found is that the LCD screen for the fan and ac controls will go blank when the headlights are turned on.

The first thing that I purchased for it overall was a set of grey weathertech floormats for a 98 Surburban they fit perfect.
Since then I have purchased over $500 of baseline and stereo parts.

I picked a set of Flowtech Shorty headers and y-pipe 11504 with a Flowmaster 40 3" single out catback kit. I copied this from my buddie who has a 89 rcsb. His was purchased all together from Jegs about 10 years ago as a full kit. I like the sound of it and the only difference is his 350 is a auto with a l31 rollercam which will eventually happen on mine. I also picked up a copper header gasket on his recommendation.

He also suggested I get a set of shorty Autolite AR13 "racing" spark plugs. He was not a fan of the accel shortys and told me these were the 'ones' to use. I understand the need for short spark plugs with headers. Usually when I get aftermarket market sparkplugs I go Denso or NGK iridium but I have not found any shortys.
I also ordered a set of 8.5mm spark plug wires and a new distributor cap and rotor out of Jegs they also price matched the headers for me. I decided not to mess with the coil at the moment. It looks to be original and works fine. I did buy a Delco replacment to keep in the cab.

As for the stereo system I'm going to replace the in dash tape deck with a Sony DSX-GS80 100W x4 head unit and 4 Infinity 463XF 4x6 speakers. I'm going to do the radio this week and work a deal with my buddies dad to let me have a few hours in his shop so I can knockout the baseline and have the exhaust welded in professionally.
E

edgartwib

Reaction score
I have recieved all of my ordered parts. ;) It been Xmas in April for me this last week! My old lady is not happy, even though its her dad's old truck I'm working on, such is life.

I have started talking with my buddies uncle who runs the shop im going to use, hes also the welder. He recommends I buy a replacment catalytic converter and suggested the rockauto AP / EASTERN 602207 3"dia 14"oal @ $60.

The decision is up to me, he does not care either way but I did ask for his advice. He says its a good cat for the money that won't blow out immediately, will flow nicely and give me a little good backpressure and kill any drone i might get at highspeed. The cat is already gone on my truck and I was going to leave it that way it being a 92 obd1. I'm kinda on the fence he warned against the $50 magnaflow knockoffs on amazon and ebay stating that they don't last and he has written a special contract for people who want them installed because of their crapiness.
Does anybody have any replacement catalytic converter recommendations?

Also yesterday I noticed a bunch of fresh oil spray on the skid plate upon inspection. My engine oil cooler lines look to be weeping at the fittings. I hit it with degreaser last nite and will take the pressure washer to it today.
I have the GT4 rpo code. Im looking into delco or sunsong replacment lines. I have read a couple threads stating that maybe sunsongs are the new delco replacments w/o markings...anybody want to indulge me with their experience?...or is this BS. The sunsongs are almost half price of the delcos on rockauto.

E

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
...and give me a little good backpressure...

Please remove this language from your vocabulary. The back pressure myth has long been dispelled. TBI's used to run like crap after guys put better exhaust on them and removed the cat, not realizing all they needed was a heated O2 sensor.

Scavenging is key, and keeping exhaust temps in the right temp range to keep it moving quickly out the end of the pipe.

A Helmholtz resonator or J-pipe on your exhaust will kill the drone also, and be a fraction of the cost.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I missed that. Backpressure is a myth. You want that exhaust as free-flowing as possible while doing what you need to do to quiet the noise. However, I do choose to run a catalytic converter because I want to be a good neighbor.

Back in the day if you didn't have a little bit of backpressure the poor metallurgy in the valves could cause you to suck a valve, but since the '90s that hasn't been an issue.

edgartwib

Reaction score
Please remove this language from your vocabulary. The back pressure myth has long been dispelled.
Haha no problem I'm leaning on you guys and a cupple old chevy buddies to line me out right. I've been a Toyota guy my whole life. I just finished rebuilding a a 87 fj60 landcruiser with a fj62 engine and drivetrain swap done to it. It's at the paint shop now waiting its turn. I'm a young 38 years old. I'm old enough to know to ask questions when I'm taking a shot in the dark.
I am a TBI noob.

I mentioned earlier that I copied an existing 350tbi rcsb exhaust system without cat and was planning on going that route.

I was leaning towards the cat because the welder, Aaron, said if it was his truck he would add the cat. His reasoning for this was a bit reaching so I left it out of my first post.

He believes big brother will eventually get their **** together and enact/enforce and federal classic car emission standard. Think CA standards or worse nationwide. I asked about a time frame and he waved the question off and never answered diving off about regulations and red tape. It was an interesting subject that I never thought about and google knows nothing about either.

Nonetheless I got to thinking maybe it's a good idea to put a cat on and forget about it.

edgartwib

Reaction score
I bought a pair of $60 Jones cats, and one blew out a couple months later.

My welder buddie showed me a bunch of blown out chineseium cats.

It's the old 'buy once cry once' scenario i seem to be in once again. For this reason I'm gonna pick up the delco oil cooler lines and not chance the Sunsongs.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just looked up the AR13 plugs. From what I've read the rfi not being reduced can create iissues.Ecm, stereo noise, etc. Have you noticed anything?