Which Forged lowers fit 98 GMC Sierra K1500 please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998SSLT

Reaction score
I've searched posts and must not be doing it right. I can find everything about forged lowers except which years actually fit a 98 K1500. Hope I've posted this in the right place, my apologies if not. Thanks to all for your help.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Any gmt-400 forged lower arm. The forged lowers started mid-run of the 400 and went through the end, although some 8-lug trucks still got the stamped arms. You can find the part numbers here on the forum.

If you are looking at parts listings none of the will "fit" your 1/2 ton because they were only used on 8-lug trucks.

1998SSLT

Reaction score
Any gmt-400 forged lower arm. The forged lowers started mid-run of the 400 and went through the end, although some 8-lug trucks still got the stamped arms. You can find the part numbers here on the forum.

If you are looking at parts listings none of the will "fit" your 1/2 ton because they were only used on 8-lug trucks.
Guess I misunderstood. Thought I've seen posts and pictures of 1500 with forged bars added but years of donor vehicles not posted.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You have seen 1500s with lower forged arms... they're from the 8-lug trucks.

1998SSLT

Reaction score
You have seen 1500s with lower forged arms... they're from the 8-lug trucks.
Ok please bare with me here. So can I use the 8 lug trucks control arms and keep my 6 lug wheels? Or do I have to change out more than the arms? Thanks for your patience

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ok please bare with me here. So can I use the 8 lug trucks control arms and keep my 6 lug wheels? Or do I have to change out more than the arms? Thanks for your patience

You can use the lowers. The uppers won't fit. After that, I'm fuzzy on the details. I would suggest reading through some of the threads here on the forum where guys have made the switch to the forged arms. I think it's just a matter of changing the arms and lower balljoints, and then the rest are original 6-lug parts. I do seem to recall one guy haveing some clearance issues between the CV shaft and a ball joint, but I don't remember details. I have a 1-ton so I have forged arms from the factory.