Which 454 to get

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I think my motor upgrade is gonna be under way sooner than later. I am in the market for a Chevy 454 4 bolt . Is there a specific block other than L78 or LS6 that was decent ?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Find a Gen VI 454. They are 96+ vortec motors, and about the best design. Are already setup for roller cam, have nice cast i-piece timing cover, 1-piece rear main, cast valve covers, mech fuel pump boss, and upgraded heads. The Gen V motors (1990-1995) are similar except they don't have the mech fuel pump boss.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Look at wrecked/retired/dead, class one or class three motorhomes that came with the BBC. A lot of those came with the tall deck block, but I know a couple guys that have found the short deck blocks, which also had steel cranks & 4 bolt mains.
L78 & LS6 blocks are stupid crazy expensive, IF you could find one!
If you're building for power, round port heads can be made to work, but they like lower rpm. Great for towing because they help with low end torque due to the fuel intake velocity at low rpm.
Square port heads are better for BIG power, but aren't really an advantage until the engine gets up into the higher rpm's. You'll need a pretty stout lumpy idle cam or a dual profile to take advantage of the breathing capacity of those heads.
You'll need at least a 780cfm carb on the square ports.
This is just my experience with BBC's. I'm sure that there are other members that have much more knowledge of these engines than I do. Some may even call me out & say I'm way off-base. But like I said, just my experience.
Original square port heads can be found fairly easily, but again, big dinero!
Square port aftermarket heads are more readily found, but as with anything BBC, they ain't cheap.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well suprisingly the L78 and LS6 blocks are available in Florida. So a newer block is better than an older block

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will look at your build thread tonight when I have time after studying for class. I plan on going carbureted so it will be real nice.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For this 454 I plan on building around 500 horsepower and capable of nitrous. Would the 96+ vortec 454 be good for this?