Where is the driver's side courtesy light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MountainDont

Reaction score
I just got a 1998 C1500 extended cab Cheyenne. The passenger gets a courtesy light on their feet. The driver side has nothing. There is just a dome light and the passenger light. Neither door has any lights.

The service manual states it is "Under LH of IP" but I don't see it.

Also, should the doors have lights? Maybe mine doesn't have them, or maybe they are burned out.

Any help?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
On a 1995-up you have door lights except on the base model panels which just have a red reflector. If there's a white lens as part of the red reflector, that's the door light. Usually what happens is people pop the door panel off to work on something (like the interior door handle 5 or 6 times) and forget to put the lamp socket back into the lens housing before pushing the panel clips back on.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
On a 1995-up you have door lights except on the base model panels which just have a red reflector. If there's a white lens as part of the red reflector, that's the door light. Usually what happens is people pop the door panel off to work on something (like the interior door handle 5 or 6 times) and forget to put the lamp socket back into the lens housing before pushing the panel clips back on.

Richard
Yuppers BTDT. But you can pop the light housing/lens out of the door panel from the front, and put the bean bulb and socket back in place. That reminds me, I need to get a box of bean bulbs.....

MountainDont

Reaction score
Great, I will look harder for a bulb socket there. And my doors have red/white strips, so I will hunt down those lights, as well.

Next: HVAC control lights and headlight switch lights. I see several threads about those, so I am hoping my hunt is easy enough. There seems to be a missing part number for the AC control lights, so I guess those tiny lights are the red-headed step sisters of the interior illumination realm. I have a theory on them, but I think I will start a new thread with my findings on them.

Thanks to all!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Disregard the circle and arrow. You can see the illumination in this photo. Yes you should have door lights.
Those under dash lights appear to be installed before the dashboard is installed....just looked at them on Rawhide recently. The housings are broken and the bulbs are dead. So... that's a repair that'll wait until the dashboard gets replaced in that truck. Burb needs one a LOT worse....