What transmission do I have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering what transmission I have?

I have a 91 Silverado, auto trans, 2wd, 350, factory lsd.

Thanks in advance.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not a ton in stock form. Taken care of and not abused, it will generally last 100-150K miles before a rebuild, and a quality rebuild should last nearly as long.

Adjustment of the throttle valve cable is critical so don't let anybody trick you into playing with it, if it's already set correctly.

FYI no such thing as factory limited slip in any of the GMT400 series trucks. RPO code G80 is actually a locker; it's the Eaton Gov-Loc. Not really nitpicking here as there is a difference. Take care with that unit because any real abuse (burnouts, hard launches) and it'll blow apart. They're nicknamed "Gov-Bomb" for good reason.

Richard

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I plan on swapping in like an LS3, the truck only has 167,000km on it, but the tranny still won't last. I do have further plans of getting a new one though.

I had no idea about the rear diff! Thanks for letting me know. I don't take this as nit picking, I probably sound like an idiot saying I have an LSD hah.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Thats fine, we try to be helpful around here instead of flogging folks that simply don't know about these trucks.