What newer model gauge cluster will plug and play into a 1990 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Thinking about getting rid of the moonie gauges in my 1990.

Are there any plug and play gauge clusters from a newer model? My temp gauge is screwed anyway and before i spend $80 and shipping on a new one......

Or point me to a thread where this was done.

Thanks

Ken

Last edited:

67GMC

Reaction score
I've got a similar question. My 88 has the idiot light instrument panel. I haven't pulled it. Will the wiring harness behind it work for an 88 with the full gauge package or do I need to replace the harness too. I've seen the instrument panels with tach and temp gauges and want a stock gauge cluster. Anyone know what the best option is? Thanks

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any plug and play gauge clusters from a newer model?
I think you can get needle gauge clusters from a 91. Here's a thread on it.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/moonie-cluster-to-needle-cluster.29235/

Another option is getting a Dakota Digital dash. I got the digital dash (VFD3-88C-PU-U) when the cluster started wigging out on my 88. I like it but it may not be for everyone.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=784/mode=cat/cat784.htm

Will the wiring harness behind it work for an 88 with the full gauge package or do I need to replace the harness too
I'm guessing you'll need to replace the harness too. You'll definitely have to replace the senders for oil pressure and coolant temp since yours has idiot light switches.

67GMC

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Desert Old Guy-I don't have a problem changing the switches to senders. I have seen a few of the clusters at swap meets. I'll pick one up and see what they look like.