What kind of problem in this engine that is making this knock noise in the 1998 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where am I supposed to hear the noise in the video? I could barely hear the truck at tall at idle, and then I heard nothing when you were revving it. Perhaps if you shot the video with the camera a little closer to the truck, we could hear the noise you're describing.

Love Dump

Reaction score
Not sure if me and you have/had the same problem, but i had the same thing going on, sitting at idle and you'd hear a lil knock, rev it up or raise hell couldnt hear **** (my truck is completly 100% bone stock), well me being the wonderful badass certified auto technician that i am, i investigated and started digging, first thing i checked was the exhaust (reason being is, my truck has 162k miles, and is VERY well maintained, and i knew better then to think i had motor issues) and my first though was the catalyst was coming apart from inside the convertor, so a racked the truck, took a rubber dead blow, and hit the convertor and all i heard was whole bunch of rattling and knocking. Took the convertor off (as it come off, chunks of catalyst were falling on the floor) and welded a new universal one in, and BAM, problem solved, truck runs better because it can breath and no more noises.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was gona say I can never hear anything all I hear is it revving up and down no knocks.

I was gonna say it's just the mufflers but without an actual idle video closer to the motor know idea of what it is really.

Could be a cracked flywheel/flexplate.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Not sure if me and you have/had the same problem, but i had the same thing going on, sitting at idle and you'd hear a lil knock, rev it up or raise hell couldnt hear **** (my truck is completly 100% bone stock), well me being the wonderful badass certified auto technician that i am, i investigated and started digging, first thing i checked was the exhaust (reason being is, my truck has 162k miles, and is VERY well maintained, and i knew better then to think i had motor issues) and my first though was the catalyst was coming apart from inside the convertor, so a racked the truck, took a rubber dead blow, and hit the convertor and all i heard was whole bunch of rattling and knocking. Took the convertor off (as it come off, chunks of catalyst were falling on the floor) and welded a new universal one in, and BAM, problem solved, truck runs better because it can breath and no more noises.

Here's another video of it, this time with a 3 megapixal camera....; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGNqC9Vm9MM&feature=relmfu

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
I was getting a weird knocking noise on my 93 a while back and it turned out to be the belt. Me and some friends were messing with it and took the belt off trying to diagnose the knock and when we put the belt back on it quit doing it. Might be something to check.