What is this relay for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gblotter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1995 Suburban with 5.7L TBI

Attached to the outside of the under-hood fuse box is an external relay (see yellow circle). I believe it came wired from the factory this way, but it does not appear on the fuse/relay diagram because it is mounted outside the fuse box.

Does anyone know what this relay is for?

You must be registered for see images attach

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
I would guess it's for the auxiliary cooling fan (if you have one) behind the grill.

aux-vcm-gif.196038

Images / info came from https://www.gmt400.com/threads/dual-electric-fan-wiring.41463/

8363e1cc-61a3-4e56-9aa3-bbb22c249131-jpeg.196055

Guess if there is a fan and relay there might also be a 30 amp fuse in the underhood fuse box marked "aux fan" ?

FWIW, I don't have a aux fan or relay and my aux fan fuse spot is clearly marked but empty, I have a 1999 pickup though.

Last edited:

gblotter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I appreciate the suggestion, I don't have an aux fan so the relay must be for something else.

I'm searching the older service manuals for any other diagrams like the one you posted, but specifically for the 1995 Suburban model year. I think your diagram is for 1996-1999.

1995truck

Reaction score
My 1995 Burb does not have the external relay either. 1995 was a transition year a mix between the 1994 version interior/dash/controls and the 1996 when the Vortex design came out.
I checked my 1995 service manual but does it not show anything there. But the manuals sometime show options in other sections. I will look closer later. But there are clearly the plastic clips for extra relays on the side.