What is this part ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is this part? Just fell off near the gas pedal area going down the road in my '92 350 5.7. I posted in the stupid interior threads forum but I'm getting kind of nervous as to what this piece may do and should like to fix it asap. Thanks fellas
image-jpeg.36915

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a linkage that goes on your a/c damper actuators. Look at the ac box to the right of the gas pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Believe it's the linkage that controls which path air takes after the heater/ ac box. Mine fell off before too

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys thats exactly what I was looking for just didn't have a clue what to search for.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe. If the blower doesn't shut off then that probably does not involve the linkages. If the air flow doesn't respond to the dash selection (panel, mix or defrost) then that is often a damper door out of position which could be a linkage issue.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe. If the blower doesn't shut off then that probably does not involve the linkages. If the air flow doesn't respond to the dash selection (panel, mix or defrost) then that is often a damper door out of position which could be a linkage issue.

Well this may sound weird but if its off it will fluctuate with the the vehicle speed, moving = hot air flow, idle = no air flow. I've even gone through a car wash and when the big air vents dried it off I felt an increase in air flow in the cabin with it off. Defrost and feet work, but in any combination of the two air will be coming out of the dash (face) vents no matter where you've selected. For example if it's on feet and defrost, it'll blow all three locations, just feet- feet and dash, defrost- defrost and dash.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The varied flow with defrost sounds like the damper isn't adjusting correctly...replace the linkage and that will probably fix that. Not sure about the other, but it could be the same issue and be a damper that isn't holding closed tightly and allowing air to seep by.

The missing linkage is probably the cause of all of it.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The varied flow with defrost sounds like the damper isn't adjusting correctly...replace the linkage and that will probably fix that. Not sure about the other, but it could be the same issue and be a damper that isn't holding closed tightly and allowing air to seep by.

The missing linkage is probably the cause of all of it.

Thanks man. I'll tackle it this weekend and let you know if it fixes anything.