What happened to all the Heavy Duty suspension kits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You seem to be confusing a quality OEM replacement and a good warranty with something that exceeds OEM specifications.

Since everyone seemed to get hung up on the price of my first example instead of the point, here's another example.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DDUZEB4/

Ok, so you're after performance parts... you didn't say that. You asked for "heavy duty" which gets thrown on all kinds of garbage. I've never seen what you're asking for, for the GMT-400 until very recently.... and that would be the Mevotech Terrain Tough products, and I have no idea if they're actually any better than Moog.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I'm talking about is parts that will actually last longer and stand more abuse.
Imagine you know the zombie apocalypse is coming next week, what parts you gonna put in your truck this week?
I like this line of thinking. That is exactly how I approach repairs on my Tahoe and my Camaro.

Moog seems to be pretty beefy when set side-by-side with OEM, so that's been the parts I've been insisting on when my originals are wearing out. I've not done much research on other manufacturers. I've bought into the hype of Moog and have not yet been disappointed.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I kinda know what you mean. Last upper ball joint replacement I used Moog. Replaced my still-good factory one troubleshooting in the dark between shifts only to find it was a wheel bearing. Womp-womp.

Replaced it anyway since I had it all apart, it definitely wasn't as good as the factory. The new one always went dry on grease between services, water contamination, etc. The zerk fitting was perfectly fine, maybe it was just the supplied boot that was inferior? I dunno. My stock ones with ripped boots held up better...That was my personal experience with them. Others may vary.

I can speak for abuse on Moog universal joints though, haven't found anything tougher or longer lasting!

But yeah, I have yet to see drop-in, extreme-duty steering/suspension parts aside of getting creative with custom stuff or going straight axle.

The example CV axles would probably kick butt on a super lightweight truck. I'd have to agree with the others that a weak point would probably be found elsewhere for that price.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I knew I should have left this part in the OP.
;')

"OK, so I could just buy Moog or similar parts. They have a lifetime warranty. What have I got to lose?"

Here's the thing. Yes, those have lifetime warranties, but they don't actually last (much) longer than other parts. So then what? You get to go spend a day (or pay lots of labour to a shop) to replace your now free under warranty $20 part.

Amen.
My Moog uppers on my K1500 started started showing movement (on passenger side) at abut 10k. The drivers side at 25k.

The internet chatter is Moog has been steadily outsourcing to the ChiComs, and the quality isn't there anymore.

I just installed ProForged uppers, we shall see how they do.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I just installed billet upper ball joints from jbl off-road. They seem like a robust joint so far

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I just installed billet upper ball joints from jbl off-road. They seem like a robust joint so far

Link? All I could find is a JBA (not JBL) off-road on the Google and looks like they only sell upper control arms for 2007+ trucks?

Thanks!

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Thanks! That looks like an impressive piece. I'll have to keep this company in mind should I ever need them in the future. Hopefully they're still manufacturing them by then.

They look like they will perform better than our other available replacements...Time will tell I'm sure.