What else for maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive done fuel filter,plugs,wires,pcv valve, throttle body cleaned,air filter,flow40 dumped, oil change is coming ( you guy using conv or synthetic? I did the shift servo 1 and 2 and serviced trans while i was there.
Sunday will be servo and e fans
I feel if the exhaust needs help. I have the egr port on my manifold and would like to get some shorties or longtubes that work. Offroad y,3 inch back to muffler.
Ill regear for 373 over the winter
Tune will be next month.

Comments,complaints,add ons welcome

im at 100k

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
As far as oil kind of depends on what engine you have. If you have flat tappets I would highly suggest running an old school diesel type oil. All of the newer oils are having the zinc taken out of them and they don't lubricate enough for flat tappets and end up flattening the lobes on the cam.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
As far as oil kind of depends on what engine you have. If you have flat tappets I would highly suggest running an old school diesel type oil. All of the newer oils are having the zinc taken out of them and they don't lubricate enough for flat tappets and end up flattening the lobes on the cam.

Would that help with my crappy oil pressure? I'm runnin Mobil1 15/50 an It still runs low after it heats up.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you're having other problems if you have low oil pressure running 15W50.

Mine is a tad low (20 at hot idle, 45-60 driving) because I stuck 5W-20 Synthetic in there because it was on sale. Time for another changed, goingto go back to 5W30, I usually have 30-40 at idle and 65-75/80 while driving with that.

Horns, I've never heard of that before. What engines/years had flat tappets?

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you're having other problems if you have low oil pressure running 15W50.

Mine is a tad low (20 at hot idle, 45-60 driving) because I stuck 5W-20 Synthetic in there because it was on sale. Time for another changed, goingto go back to 5W30, I usually have 30-40 at idle and 65-75/80 while driving with that.

Horns, I've never heard of that before. What engines/years had flat tappets?

Dang your regular pressure is really damn good on 5W-30.

TBI motors were flat tappet even thought the blocks are ready for a roller. So '95 and before.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
^Yep. All the TBI engines were flat tappet.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I attribute it to my engine running Mobil 1 every change since 3,000 miles. That's the only thing I can think of.

Does running synthetic help this problem? What are the side affects of wearing down the flat tappets? I've seen many a 5.0 and 5.7 with 200K+ on them, so it can't be too much of an issue I wouldn't think.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
30-40psi at idle and 65-80psi runnin? Hot? That seems pretty high pressure for a 350 sbc. Are u sure thats accurate? My Dads 2012 nnbs doesn't run more than 60psi hot at hiway speeds.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Any more info on this oil?

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
30-40psi at idle and 65-80psi runnin? Hot? That seems pretty high pressure for a 350 sbc. Are u sure thats accurate? My Dads 2012 nnbs doesn't run more than 60psi hot at hiway speeds.

That's what my OP gauge says. No idea how accurate it is, but it's always at the same places at various RPM's. If it's off, I don't care. Engine doesn't make a sound at idle, so as far as I'm concerned, its doing just fine. It's run Mobil 1 since 1993, and still has plenty of pep and torque when needed.