what amp to run with single kicker sub.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrp12357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My alpine does 400rms at 2 ohms all day. I've had amp going for about 8 years now and 4 vehicles lol. Oh yea same sub too. 15" soundstream.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My alpine does 400rms at 2 ohms all day. I've had amp going for about 8 years now and 4 vehicles lol. Oh yea same sub too. 15" soundstream.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Alpine makes a good product too!

Sent from my Motorola Bravo

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Most all amps(except the high-end makes) whether they be economy(pyle, pyramid, etc), or mid-grade(rockford, kicker, mtx, etc), will be rated at unloaded voltage(14.4v) playing a 1000hz tone. Loaded voltage(~12.8v) playing at a useable subwoofer frequency(~50hz) the amp will only be able to output about a quarter to a third of it's rated rms power. I know this sounds difficult, but with the technical aspects, I would say a kicker 500rms at 4ohms would be much more useable. On top of that, your voice coil impedance(ohms) will go up within seconds of playing music, thus making your power from amp decrease. As the coil warms up, resistance(ohms) increases.

94gmcZ71

Reaction score
Well the amp came in yesterday and was goin to start hooking things up. Thanks mobs I was a little confused on if I just hook it up or have to adjust something for it to run 4 ohms..

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Nahh, the ohms is the impedance/resistance that the speaker gives to the amp's output power. It's all in the wiring of the sub(s) as to what starting ohm load you end up with. The amp then has the stability factor to take into consideration, if you have a monoblock(single circuit path) then you'll have the lowest stability rating showing the highest rms it can achieve. When you raise the ohm load, the power dramatically decreases as it takes more voltage to push the power thus decreasing the amperage/power entering sub.

94gmcZ71

Reaction score
Oh ok I understand now.... I dont know why but I thought I had to change something or hook it up some other way. But im fixin to go finish it up. Thanks for the help yal.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
You're welcome man....the only thing you'd change on an amp, and it's generally only the high-end amps, is if you were wanting to change it's ohm load stability(via an internal jumper connection), or change it's hi-pass, lo-pass cutoff frequency(via an internal chip change).